The Global Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Inspection Equipment Market is expected to register a CAGR of 16% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). The quality of PCB determines the quality and reliability of the final product. Hence PCB inspection plays a crucial role in finalizing the PCB's functionality and strength.
- As the density and diversity of PCBs are increasing due to improvements in production technology, there is a need for accurately identifying defects on PCBs, apart from manual vision inspection. Machine inspection methods help in better quality and higher yield of the PCB.
- Demand for miniaturization has lead to increasing complexity of PCB design. This has lead to proportional failure rate of PCB inspection, which is challenging the market demand.
Scope of the Report
There are 3 elements to be considered while considering the type of inspection method -- Cost, defect type and inspection speed. When it comes to inspection method, AOI is applied for inner layer test prior to lamination and defect items range from solder paste volume, component position, absence and polarity, to solder joint defects. The X Ray Inspection focuses on fine and micro defects after lamination and is capable of testing wiring assemblies, semiconductor packaging, BGA solder defects, voids in solder joint and high mix, low volume assembly.
Key Market Trends
X-Ray Inspection to Gain Majority Share
- In PCB inspection, X-ray is massively used in the process of PCB assembly in order to test the quality of PCBs, which is one of the most important steps for quality-oriented PCB manufacturers.
- ViTrox provides advanced 3D X-Ray Inspection (V810i Series) which is designed to specially cater to different sizes of PCB assembly. It enables examination at micron level with maximum throughput.
- Viscom offers a 3D AXI system that is distinguished by fast handling and 3D image quality of upto 3 PCBs. It is is ideal for use in production lines that require high throughput despite extensive inspection of hidden solder joints.
- In October 2019, VJ Electronix, Inc., a pioneer in rework technologies and global provider of advanced X-ray inspection and component counting systems released the XQuik III, the latest in high-speed X-ray component counting.
- North America leads the market when it comes to market share. In May 2019, Bittele Electronics launched a new PCB assembly facility in Canada in an effort to assist their American clients. The new assembly line features 3D X-Ray Inspection.
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Highest Growth
- The demand for PCB has been witnessing the highest growth in Asia-Pacific region, mainly due to growth in China. According to the International Electronics Industry Association (IPC) data, PCB capacity in Greater China accounted for 63.6% of the world in 2017. Combining Korea and Japan, East Asia accounts for more than 80% of global PCB production capacity.
- China is home to many PCB production facilities. AT&S largest production unit is located in Shanghai with focus on multi-layer PCB. This is because the company's attention is on large volumes for mobile communications customers in China.
- Increasing smartphone adoption rates have made Asia-Pacific one of the largest mobile markets of the world. This is due to increasing population growth and urbanization. As per GSM Association, more than 4, out of 5 connections will be smartphones by 2025. This trend is expected to increase the PCB usage in this region, thus increasing the use cases of PCB inspection.
- Other countries are also aiming to increase the market adoption. Taiwan Printed Circuit Association (TPCA) works with its 650 *member companies to provide: development material on domestic and overseas printed circuit board. In recent years, they have promoted circular economy and smart manufacturing with members to enhance the competitiveness of PCB industry.
The market is concentrated with few of the players occupying the majority market share. Vendors are slowly emerging with offerings related to PCB inspection.
- October 2019 - Inspectis AB will be presenting its full range of video microscope inspection and accessories, including 4K range inspection products for PCB electronics, at productronica, Germany.
- May 2019 - Vision Engineering launched LVC400, the first fully automated 3-axis video measurement system It is ideal for automated measurement and PCB inspection.
- December 2018 - Dorigo Systems has integrated Zenith 3D AOI system into its high speed printed circuit board (PCB) assembly lines providing true 3D optical inspection. The Zenith series provides superior results by measuring every aspect of the component and solder joint according to IPC-A-610 standards
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support