The Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging market was valued at USD 1293.43 million in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 2136.41 million by 2025, at a CAGR of 7.51% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. According to Export.gov, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia accounts for 59.4 % of the purchases of pharmaceuticals products in the Gulf region. Thus, it has a positive impact on Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market.
- Further, Saudi Arabia's Vision 2030 and the National Transformation Program (NTP)'s identified the Industrial Clusters (IC) as the lead government entity to develop five industrial sectors including the pharmaceutical and biotech industry. Additionally, only 30% of pharmaceutical products are manufactured locally. Therefore, opportunities for pharmaceutical packaging manufacturers is expected to grow significantly.
- Moreover, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, there is a shortage of drugs in Saudi Arabia, which is negatively impacting the health of common public, and this problem is recurring from the last decades. To understand the root cause and overcome this issue, in 2018, the Pharmacy Education Unit at King Saud University College of Pharmacy has called for a meeting with multiple stakeholders. Thus, to improve the condition in the region, they are working towards the localization of the pharmaceutical industry. For instance, in 2018, Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA), through its joint cooperation with international pharmaceutical companies signed an agreement between Novartis and AJA Pharma, so as to manufacture pharmaceutical products to treat diabetes and blood pressure.
- However, different government regulations are expected to hinder the growth of plastic bottles in the country, further affecting the overall bottle packaging in the pharmaceutical industry in the state.
Scope of the Report
Pharmaceutical packaging is used for the packing of pharmaceutical products to secure them from any external harmful toxins and rays. The rising population and with the increasing workforce, the increase in per capita spending on health care services is also growing in the region. Thus, the busy schedule and changing lifestyle will lead to increasing consumers' adoption of easy-to-swallow medicines, leading to the growth in demand for the powdered and liquid form of medicine. This will create a demand for different packaging types such as pouches, and sachets. In return, it will also act as a catalyst for the Saudi Arabia pharmaceutical packaging market.
Key Market Trends
Pharmacy Model for Vision 2030 to Drive the Market Growth
- With this new vision, the government decided to privatize all its public hospitals and introduce Public-Private Partnership programs, as included in the government's NTP 2020 objectives. Some of those objectives are to increase the number of licensed medical facilities from 40 to 100 and double the number of primary care centers visits per capita from two to four.
- Further, the Ministry of Health (MOH) plans to privatize all its services through the National Transformation Program 2020 which will increase the private sector contribution to the health sector from 25-35%. The public sector dominates the supply of healthcare services in Saudi Arabia and accounts for the majority of healthcare expenditures. But the government policies are encouraging more private sector than public sector involvement in the provision of healthcare services.
- Moreover, the project 'Domestic production' to contribute 40% of the market by 2020 in line with the National Transformation program objectives to localize the industry.
- Such initiatives will increase the sales of pharmaceutical products in the region, which in return will increase the demand for the pharmaceutical packaging market.
Increase in Diabetic Patients is Expected to Boost the Market in the Country
- Non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer have become the leading cause of death among Saudi Arabia population. This is due to a sedentary lifestyle, obesity, high tobacco use, and poor dietary choices. The World Health Organization (WHO) figures indicate that 33.7% of Saudi Arabia adults are obese, and 68.2% are overweight.
- Moreover, the number of diabetics in the country has also increased recently. Owing to this, government initiatives are driving the usage of healthcare products and services.
- In support to this, as the government policies in the country are biased in favor of domestic producers, providing them with exemptions, including interest-free funding, subsidized utility charges, and no import duties on raw materials and intermediate products, the increased demand for the cures for diseases such as diabetes are expected to create a significant demand for packaging in the country.
The Saudi Arabia pharmaceutical packaging market is moderately fragmented, and competition among the players is increasing. Additionally, because of the concept of 'Domestic production' in the region and 'Saudi 2030 Vision', many players are entering this market. Product launches, high expense on research and development, partnerships and acquisitions, etc. are the prime growth strategies adopted by the companies to gain competitive advantages. Some of the recent developments are:
- June 2019 - Jabil Packaging Solutions introduced a new suite of Sustainable Packaging Services, that enable packaged goods brands to design and deliver innovative new sustainable packaging formats into the marketplace at speed. As a custom packaging solutions provider with a rich history of transformational brand equity packaging, the company has uniquely positioned itself to work intimately with brands to solve their challenges at a rapid pace, thereby reducing complexity and mitigating risks.
- March 2019 - Saudi Basic Industries Corporation introduced its COHERE S-series, produced using NEXLENE technology. It was developed in response to market demand for solutions with more effective sealing properties to protect its contents better, and properties to allow higher production efficiency in the flexible packaging industry. This will potentially support the reduction of waste and cost savings.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support