The market for nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR) is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 6% during the forecast period. One of the major factors driving the market studied is the growing safety concerns in healthcare and increasing industrial activities in Asia and Middle East region. However, restrictions on use of phthalates in NBR formulations and other environmental regulations on rubber manufacturing is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Automotive industry dominated the market and is expected to grow during the forecast period.
- Growing industrial applications in Asia-Pacific is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption from the countries such as China, India and ASEAN Countries.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Automotive Sector
- Unlike most other synthetic rubbers, nitrile rubbers can be vulcanized with several cross-linking systems. The vulcanization can take place at room temperature or at high temperatures to accelerate the reactions.
- Nitrile rubbers are used in applications which demand good mechanical properties and oil and fuel resistance. NBR can be blended with other rubbers. For instance, the increasing of IIR (infinite impulse response) to NBR improves weather properties and thermal stability and decreases the gas permeability of NBR.
- NBR is used in tires and non-tire applications in the automotive & transportation industry. Tires are expected to maintain performance in different weather and surface conditions while meeting the stringent safety norms of various countries. The increasing demand for tires offering a smoother and quieter ride with better fuel efficiency has compelled manufacturers to use NBR.
- The tires made from NBR are widely used in military vehicles and heavy-duty vehicles. It is also used in coated tire cord fabrics providing fundamental properties such as controlled deformation, high strength, high affinity, and abrasion resistance.
- Nitrile rubber is also used where high oil resistance is required, as in automotive seals, gaskets, or other items subject to contact with hot oils.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share in 2018. With growing construction activities and rapid urbanization in countries such as China and India, the usage of NBR is increasing in the region.
- The construction sector in India has been growing rapidly with an increased investment by the government. The Indian government's 'Housing for All by 2022' is a major game changer for the industry. A cumulative total of USD 24.67 billion foreign direct investment has been made for the construction activities (including townships, built-up infrastructure, and construction- development projects) in the country, between the period of April 2000 to December 2017.
- Moreover, the growth of the market has also been benefitted heavily from the increased purchasing power of consumers in China and India, and the resultant increase in the sales of consumer durables.
- The appliance market in China is expected to grow as the middle-class population grows, thereby driving the NBR market in the country. Moreover, the increase in mining activities in China over the years has resulted in increased NBR demand in the country.
- All such factors coupled with increasing consumption from other emerging economies of Asia-Pacific is driving the growth of the market in the region.
The nitrile butadiene rubber market is partially fragmented. Some of these major players include ARLANXEO, KUMHO PETROCHEMICAL, TSRC, JSR Corporation, and LG Chem.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support