The market for Polyurethane Film is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 6% during the forecast period. One of the major factors driving the market studied is the growing awareness regarding health & hygiene. On the flipside, high cost of polyurethane (PU) films is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Medical industry dominated the market in 2018 and is expected to grow during the forecast period owing to the increasing investments activities in the sector, across the world.
- Growing number of wind power plants is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption from the countries such as China, India and ASEAN countries.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Medical Sector
- For decades, polyurethane films have been used in the manufacturing of a unique class of films. These films are commonly found in medical aprons, geld pads and medical packaging.
- Additionally, they are used in the manufacturing of liquid & viral barriers, transdermal components, wound dressings, and waterproof-breathable medical textiles.
- The physical structure and puncture resistance property of the films allow them to act as both liquid and viral barriers, shielding patients and staff from potentially harmful blood-borne pathogens. For this reason, in hospitals, no plasticizers are used to mitigate or cause allergic reactions as the films can withstand autoclave sterilization temperatures and remain soft and flexible over time for extended shelf life.
- Additionally, the films' ease of fabrication allows for cost-efficient adhesion and slitting, resulting in reduced net cost.
- Aging and growing populations, greater prevalence of chronic diseases, and exponential advances in innovative medical approach is driving the demand for PU films in the sector.
- There is an exponential increase in the pace and scale with which healthcare and medical innovations are emerging. Polyurethane films are supporting health systems' efforts to transit to new models of patient-centered care and helping them develop "smart health" approaches to increase affordability and improve quality.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market for polyurethane films. China has one of the largest healthcare sectors across the globe.
- In 2018, around RMB 82.6 billion (USD 11.95 billion) has been invested in the Chinese healthcare sector which is 78.64% greater than the investment made in the previous year. Moreover, the country's 13th Five-Year Plan prioritizes health and innovation, which is expected to increase investments in medical device manufacturing sector during the forecast period.
- The healthcare sector in India is expected to reach USD 372 billion by 2022, mainly driven by increasing health awareness, access to insurance, rising income and diseases.
- The world's largest government funded healthcare scheme, Ayushman Bharat was launched in September 2018. Japan has a rapidly growing aging population with those aged 65 or over accounting for more than 27.4% of the population.
- The rapidly aging Japanese population, increasing number of patients with chronic and life-style diseases, universal health insurance coverage and regulatory measures are driving the Japanese medical devices market.
- All such factors coupled with increasing consumption from other emerging economies of Asia-Pacific is driving the growth of the market in the region.
The polyurethane market is fragmented and is dominated by very few players. Some of these major players include SWM, Covestro AG, 3M Company, Huntsman International LLC, and American Polyfilm, Inc.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support