The DC circuit breaker market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 2% over the period of 2020-2025. DC circuit breaker plays a crucial role in the electricity generation, transmission, and distribution, the main role of DC circuit breakers is to automatically shut-off power when a circuit is threatened of becoming overloaded. Factors such as an increase in power consumption, rise of an influx of renewable sources in the energy mix, along with upgradation and modernization of aging infrastructure are expected to drive the market in the forecast period. Rise in the stability of electricity supply thereby reducing the need for circuit breakers is likely to restrain the growth of the DC circuit breaker market in the coming years.
- The renewables sector is expected to be the fastest-growing market during the forecast period, owing to factors like increasing investment in utility size renewable power plants.
- Globally, the focus has increased on investments in clean energy projects and the development of the renewable energy sector. As a result, the extensive development of new renewable projects, and rising electricity usage is likely to create an excellent opportunity for the dc circuit breaker market in the future.
- Asia-Pacific has dominated the DC circuit breaker market in recent years and is expected to witness significant market growth in the forecast period, with the majority of the demand coming from China and India.
Key Market Trends
Renewables Sector to Dominate the Market
- Renewable sector is expected to witness significant growth in the forecast period, owing to factors like rising electricity share of renewables in total electricity generation, an increasing number of utility size renewable projects, and increasing demand for clean energy.
- The global solar energy capacity grew by over 1300% from 41.54 GW, in 2010, to 586.43 GW, in 2019, and wind energy capacity grew by over 240% from 180.85 GW, in 2010, to 622.7 GW, in 2019. The majority of this capacity was added in the form of utility-scale wind and solar farms, all of which use DC circuit breakers to address "first-fault" conditions, which correspond to the first unintentional connection to the earth.
- Another factor that has added to the growth of the renewable sector is the significant drop in the CAPEX required for setting up renewable projects like wind and solar projects. For example, the cost of solar photovoltaic (PV) modules have plummeted around 99% in the last four decades, and the costs are expected to continue to go down in the forecast period too, owing to advancement in solar panel production technologies, and mass production of solar panels, the same trend is witnessed in cost of wind turbines, which have dropped around 30-40% since 2009.
- Increasing demand for clean energy is one of the primary drivers for the renewable sector and, in turn, for the DC circuit breakers in the sector. Electricity generation from renewable energy sources grew by around 14% from 2166.5 TWh in 2017 to 2480.4 TWh in 2018.
- Therefore, with the increase in the demand for clean energy, the renewable sector is expected to rise, and in turn the market is expected to grow for DC circuit breakers in the renewable sector.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific has dominated the DC circuit breaker market, in 2019 and is expected to continue its dominance in the coming years as well.
- Asia-Pacific is one of the fastest-growing regions in the world because of the increasing population, urbanization, and industrialization. As a result, the demand for guaranteed power supply is high. For addressing these demands, many countries are investing in the renewable energy sector and transmission and distribution infrastructure.
- As per the International Energy Agency (IEA), the world's most populated country China is likely to install 36% of total worldwide hydroelectricity generation capacity and 40% of all global wind energy between 2015-2021. Already, China has over 259,000 MW of new coal plants in various stages of development and accounts for more than 1/3 of the global coal plant pipeline.
- On the other side, the coal consumption rate of India registered a growth rate of 8.7% in 2018, which indicated that the country is still highly dependent on coal for energy generation. India is also investing heavily in the renewable sector heavily, with USD 11.1 billion invested in 2018 alone. The majority of these investments were directed towards the development of wind and solar farms.
- These, in turn, is likely to propel the demand of the DC circuit breakers in the region during the forecast period.
The DC circuit breaker market is fragmented. Some of the key players in this market include ABB Ltd, Toshiba Corp, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Fuji Electric Co Ltd, and Siemens AG.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support