The wet glue labelling machine market is expected to reach a CAGR of 5.4% over the forecast period of 2021-2026. The increasing research and development initiatives by the players in the industry has enabled them to come up with papers that have high endurance, and resist disintegration. This is expected to fuel market growth over the forecast period. In September 2019, APP launched its new Arcadia label-based paper Acadia 2000 for PSA label face stock and wet glue labels. The newly launched paper has the ability to resist disintegration and rupture when exposed to water or other moisture build-up and is suitable for soft drinks, juice, coffee, beer, wine and another cold liquid food packaging, where it can withstand varying temperatures and humidity.
- The capability of wet glue labelling machines to deliver accuracy in terms of label pasting along with reducing the cost of the operations drives the market. It offers certain features such as low production costs due to a 30-50% reduction in glue usage and less labelling waste, excellent tensile strength, and stiffness for minimal curling, tearing, flagging and folding, stiffness and moisture absorbent and many more.Moreover, Stripe Glueing Systems available in most varieties, save glue Consumption up to 40% on each label.
- The higher adoption of automatic wet glue labelling machine to increase productivity drives the market. It is used for very long, wide labels and large-sized containers. Automatic wet glue labelling machine is suitable for labelling on round bottles, jars, tins, cans, containers and other round objects. The machines are capable of labelling up to 120 units per minute depending on products and label size. It requires minimum change parts and changes over time for different size of containers and suits partial as well as complete/overlapped labelling.
- The labelling market has experienced rapid growth in recent times owing to the growing importance of track and trace mechanisms required to protect product integrity. Due to the increasing stream of counterfeit products, it has led to growing significance for product authentication and awareness in the minds of the consumers This factor also drives the demand for wet glue labelling machine.
- The self-adhesive labelling market is expected to grow faster than the wet glue labelling machines market owing to comparatively higher functionalities offered by self-adhesive labelling machines. Paper labels with wet-glue are used for the labelling of reusable containers, where the wet-glue is applied to the full surface or in strips and the adhesive is only being applied to the paper immediately before labelling. The disadvantage is that the filler must work with wet glue, that is to say, contamination of the machine occurs and the handling of these labels becomes more difficult than that of self-adhesive labels.
Key Market Trends
Wine and Beer in Beverage Account for Significant Market Share
- Glass is considered to be an effective material for wine and beer packaging, as it provides protection against external chemical, biological, and physical influences. It can also be recycled a number of times without losing its durability or quality. Thus, glass is expected to account for a major proportion of the wine and beer packaging market. This effectively generates more demand for wet glue labelling for the bottle glass section where die-cut labels are mainly used in patch applications for beer bottles.
- Various companies are mostly present, who specifically produce labelling solution for wine and beer with specific glue selection. For instance, Grapelabels specializes in label solutions for the wine, beer. In wet glue labels (WGL), they offer a carefully composed selection of machines in order to provide a complete wet glue package. The device they use for wet glue production (cut and stack) is fully automated.
- Moreover, various companies demand glue that can withstand ice-cold refrigerator temperatures and can hold up when submerged in water at the bottom of an icy cooler. The manufacturers are focusing to produce the glues which can withstand the above factor. For instance, Krones Group, headquartered in Neutraubling, Germany, provides HB Fuller product Swifttak PWL5120 which is a cold glue labeller for a beer bottle. This is an opaque, synthetic polymer-based glue for use on a wide range of rotary labellers that can adhere to cold, wet bottles and offers ice-proof bonds.
- According to U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) and U.S. Commerce Department, in 2018, the U.S. beer industry shipped (sold) 202.2 million barrels of beer. This indicates the high demand for wet glue labelling machine for beer labelling with increasing opportunities.
- Moreover, according to the Beer Institute, the U.S. beer industry sells more than USD 119.3 billion in beer and malt-based beverages to U.S. consumers each year. As the beer market is growing every year the demand for wet glue especially for paper and metallized paper will effectively increase the market of wet glue labelling machine.
Asia-Pacific to Witness Market Growth
- Asia-Pacific is home to the largest population in the world. With increasing consumer awareness regarding packaging, the demand for packaging in the food and beverage industry, and the need for high speed & high-quality labeling solutions is increasing. China & India are expected to witness positive growth in the wet glue labels market owing to rising growth in the industrial and manufacturing sectors.
- With a significant rise in the number of working-class individuals and the increase in disposable incomes of the people in this region, the adoption of premium and high-quality beers in this region is increasing. The increasing consumption of beer and spirit drinks in the region has been a significant factor for the growth of the market. WHO has stated that 92% of the alcohol consumers in India prefer spirits over beer and wine. As the players are moving toward sustainable packaging products, the adoption of glass packaging for alcoholic beverages is growing in the region, which substantially increased the demand for wet glue labelling machines.
- Various Asian firms are locally present who supply their machinery in the rest of the world and it helps in growing the market revenue for the region. For instance, A. H. Industries have more than 1000 machines working in the pharmaceutical industries of India, Bangladesh, Egypt, the Philippines, and Syria. Their wide range of machines such as the wet glue labelling machine is widely used for the labeling process design of pharmaceutical machinery and finds usage in the pharmaceutical industries.
The wet glue labelling machine market is fragmented as the major manufacturers operating in the market compete for improving and retaining their market share. The industry players are competing on the basis of price, distribution, service quality, innovation, and reputation. Mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and technological innovations are some of the primary strategies adopted by these companies to ensure long-term growth. Key players are Ace Technologies Pvt Ltd., Brothers Phramamach (India) Pvt Ltd, etc. Recent developments in the market are -
- July 2019 - Print-Leeds won the contract for the entirety of Marston's label production for its bottled beers, including brands such as Wainwright, Hobgoblin, McEwan's and Pedigree. Print-Leeds is looking to strengthen its digital print capabilities after dealing a GBP 2 million contract to become the sole wet glue label supplier for Marston's Beer Company.
- Sep 2018 - Verso Corporation announced the launch of three new label papers, OptiLabel HB, OptiLitho C1S, and OptiPrime Inkjet WS, further expanding its specialty label paper portfolio, the largest in North America. OptiLitho C1S is a new range of C1S glue-applied cut and stack label papers for the label and converting applications.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support