The continuing emergence of data supporting the safety of paclitaxel-coated devices will drive growing adoption of premium-priced DES and DCBs, supporting modest growth overall in the Japanese PV device market through 2030. Market revenues will be hindered by the impact of COVID-19 pandemic in the short term and by ASP declines caused by biennial reimbursement cuts by the MHLW over the forecast period.
This Medtech 360 Report provides comprehensive data and analysis on the current state of the market for PV devices in Japan across an 11-year period.
The COVID-19 pandemic will have a minimal impact on overall PV procedures and revenues in 2020.
- What factors will contribute to the impact on the PV device market?
- To what degree will the pandemic affect different PV device segments?
- What impact has the pandemic had on ongoing clinical trials?
- How soon will procedure volumes, sales, and revenues recover over the forecast period?
A meta-analysis was published in 2018 that showed an increased risk of death associated with paclitaxel-coated balloons and stents.
- How has this study impacted the Japanese market for DCBs and DES?
- How has this study impacted physicians' perception of these products?
- Which companies will be affected and how?
- What strategies are the concerned companies employing to counteract the effects of the study?
Competitors are developing DES and DCBs that do not use paclitaxel.
- What companies are developing these products?
- What impact will the approval of such products have on use of existing devices?
Various DCB and DES manufacturers have invested in clinical trials to expand their offerings in indications such as BTK.
- Which trials will impact the adoption of DCBs and DES for the BTK indication?
- What has been physicians' preferred approach to treat lesions in the BTK indication?
Premium-priced DCBs for lower extremities have entered the Japanese market and will drive market growth.
- Will DCBs or DES become the standard drug-eluting solution for BTK lesions?
- Which competitors are likely to enter the DCB market, and which will gain the most market share?
- How will DCB uptake affect use of other PV devices, such as stents and standard balloon catheters?
- Which new indications will drive growth in the DCB market?
Biennial reimbursement cuts by the MHLW continue to affect the Japanese PV device market.
- Which market segments will experience the highest cuts to reimbursement, and why?
- In which segments will procedural growth compensate for ASP declines, resulting in market growth?
- What are alternative strategies for companies to encourage adoption of premium-priced products?