The global artificial cornea and corneal implant market reached a value of US$ 385.5 Million in 2021. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 605 Million by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 7.10% during 2022-2027. Keeping in mind the uncertainties of COVID-19, we are continuously tracking and evaluating the direct as well as the indirect influence of the pandemic. These insights are included in the report as a major market contributor.
Artificial cornea and corneal implant refer to the surgical procedure conducted to replace parts of the damaged cornea with healthy corneal tissue obtained from a donor. The procedures are usually performed for the treatment of keratoconus, infectious keratitis, corneal ulcers and Fuchs dystrophy diseases. They include various medical procedures, such as penetrating and endothelial keratoplasty, that involve the transplantation of entire corneal stem cells. The implants are commonly available in synthetic and biosynthetic variants, which are manufactured using recombinant collagen and chemical substances. The implant procedures aid in restoring vision, relieving pain and treating damaged corneas. As a result, these procedures are widely conducted in hospitals and ophthalmic and ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs).
Artificial Cornea and Corneal Implant Market Trends:
- The increasing prevalence of corneal infections and eye-related disorders among the masses is one of the key factors driving the growth of the market. Moreover, the rising geriatric population, which is more susceptible to such ailments, is providing a thrust to the market growth. Artificial cornea and corneal implant procedures are extensively used for the timely treatment of these disorders and the prevention of corneal blindness. Additionally, the increasing preference for penetrating keratoplasty procedures is favoring the market growth. These surgical procedures involve full-thickness corneal transplantation, which aids in treating ecstatic corneal diseases, such as keratoconus and pellucid marginal degeneration. Various product innovations, such as the development of three-dimensional (3D) printed artificial corneas with enhanced biocompatibility and customizability, are contributing to the market growth. In line with this, the increasing demand for artificial cornea and corneal implants to treat cloudy cornea caused by prolonged exposure to screen times is positively impacting the market growth. Other factors, including significant improvements in the healthcare infrastructure, along with the implementation of various government initiatives to prevent visual impairment among the masses, are anticipated to drive the market toward growth.
Key Market Segmentation:
- IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each sub-segment of the global artificial cornea and corneal implant market, along with forecasts at the global, regional and country level from 2022-2027. Our report has categorized the market based on type, transplant type, disease indication and end user.
Breakup by Type:
- Human Cornea
- Artificial Cornea
Breakup by Transplant Type:
- Penetrating Keratoplasty
- Endothelial Keratoplasty
- Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty
Breakup by Disease Indication:
- Fuchs' Dystrophy
- Fungal Keratitis
Breakup by End User:
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Specialty Clinics
Breakup by Region:
- North America
- United States
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The competitive landscape of the industry has also been examined along with the profiles of the key players being Advancing Sight Network, AJL Ophthalmic S.A., Aurolab, Corneat Vision Ltd, EyeYon Medical, Florida Lions Eye Bank, Keramed Inc., L V Prasad Eye Institute, LinkoCare Life Sciences AB, Mediphacos, Presbia PLC and San Diego Eye Bank. Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global artificial cornea and corneal implant market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global artificial cornea and corneal implant market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the type?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the transplant type?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the disease indication?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the end user?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the industry?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the industry?
- What is the structure of the global artificial cornea and corneal implant market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the industry?