The optical fiber amplifier market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 13.56% during the forecast period.
REVENUES PON EQUIPMENT FOR NEXT-GEN ONT/ONU PORT, GLOBAL, IN MILLION DOLLARS
The 5G optical fiber amplifier market is driven by the growing demand for high-speed data transmission, the increasing adoption of 5G technology, and RF power amplifiers' miniaturization and energy efficiency.
For instance, according to the insights released by Broadband Forum, the revenues of PON equipment for the next-gen ONT/ONU ports were 106 million dollars in 2017 Q1 and 122 million dollars in 2018 Q1. The increase in revenues for PON equipment for next-gen ONT/ONU ports indicates the overall growth of fiber-optic networks. This growth, in turn, supports the development and expansion of 5G infrastructure, driving the demand for various components, including optical fiber amplifiers, to ensure reliable and efficient transmission within the fiber-optic backbone of 5G networks.
EMERGING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE 5G OPTICAL FIBER AMPLIFIER MARKET:
ERBIUM-DOPED FIBER AMPLIFIER AND SEMICONDUCTOR OPTICAL FIBER AMPLIFIER
The 5G optical fiber amplifier market is influenced by the growing consumer electronics industry, the expanding coverage of the 4G network, and the emergence of new communication technologies such as 5G.
By type, the 5g optical fiber amplifier market is segmented into erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA), Raman fiber amplifier (FRA), and semiconductor optical fiber amplifier (SOA). The developments and initiatives in the erbium-doped fiber amplifier and semiconductor optical fiber amplifier segments are crucial in driving advancements and improving the 5G optical fiber amplifier market.
- In February 2023, Huawei introduced the Huawei FTTR OptiXstar F30, which is the industry's initial commercial 50G PON (Passive Optical Network). Additionally, Huawei presents the OptiX Alps-WDM, a suite of solutions specifically tailored for all-optical home networks, ultra-broadband access, and all-optical metro networks. These cutting-edge solutions not only aid operators in establishing end-to-end environmentally friendly all-optical networks to facilitate the high-quality advancement of various services but also facilitate a smooth transition to F5.5G networks and pave the way for ubiquitous 10Gbps connectivity.
- In October 2019, NXP Semiconductors unveiled its extensive portfolio of RF power multi-chip modules (MCM) designed to facilitate the creation of 5G base stations' massive MIMO active antenna systems. These solutions, known as NXP's 5G Airfast, offer enhanced levels of integration, resulting in reduced power amplifier dimensions, accelerated design cycles, and streamlined manufacturing processes.
The global 5G optical fiber amplifier market consists of major countries undertaking various measures to boost the 5G infrastructure. Americas is expected to witness a high CAGR during the forecasted period. In addition, some major countries include China, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and Germany. The nations have undertaken various initiatives which have complemented the overall market growth. For instance,
- In June 2022, CML Microcircuits introduced the CMX90A702 28 GHz Medium Power Amplifier (MPA) for 5G applications in the United Kingdom. Leveraging CML's innovative SµRF RFIC/MMIC design capability, this amplifier specifically caters to the needs of 5G mmWave infrastructure applications. It serves various purposes, including repeaters, small cells, customer-premises equipment (CPE), passive antenna arrays, and 5G backhaul applications. The CMX90A702 MPA showcases CML's commitment to delivering high-performance solutions in the rapidly evolving 5G landscape.
- In March 2022, in the United States, Semtech Corporation has recently announced the commencement of sampling for their latest FiberEdge Transimpedance Amplifier (TIA) IC. This new TIA IC is designed to enhance and optimize performance in 5G deployments. By leveraging advanced semiconductor technology, Semtech aims to provide superior signal amplification and transmission capabilities for 5G networks. The sampling phase signifies Semtech's commitment to delivering high-performance solutions tailored to the demands of evolving 5G deployments.
MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE MARKET:
Some of the leading players in the market include AD-net Technology Co., LTD., Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd., and Sintai Communication Co., LTD. among others. The product offerings of the major corporation include the following.
- AD-net Technology Co., Ltd. offers Semiconductor Optical fiber amplifier that are compatible with 10G/40G/100G systems, making them a convenient choice for system design. The product line includes three variants: 2 * 2, 4 * 4, and 8 * 8, catering to different requirements for 2-way, 4-way, and 8-way 1310nm 100G optical signal amplification, respectively. With a maximum output power of 10dBm, these SOA products deliver reliable amplification capabilities for various applications.
- Furukawa Electric's High-end Fusion splicer S185PM is specifically engineered to facilitate splicing specialty fibers in diverse settings such as factories, manufacturing facilities, and research and development environments. Its compact yet robust design is meticulously tailored to excel in the optical component and optical sensor domains.
- Sintai Communication Co., Ltd. offers DWDM EDFA Card that provides a range of advantageous features, including consistent output power, minimal noise, and low power consumption. This product comprises essential components such as a high-reliability pump laser and high-performance gain flattening filters, ensuring reliable and efficient amplification of multiple channels.
The 5G optical fiber amplifier market has been analyzed through the following segments.
- Erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA)
- Raman fiber amplifier (FRA)
- Semiconductor Optical fiber amplifier (SOA)
- Passive Optical Network (PON)
- Ethernet Passive Optical Network (EPON)
- Gigabit Ethernet Passive Optical Network (GPON)
- South Korea