The future of the polylactic acid market looks promising with opportunities in the packaging, bio-medical, textile, agriculture, and electronics end use industries. The polylactic acid market is expected to decline in 2020 due to global economic recession led by COVID-19. However, market will witness recovery in the year 2021 and it is expected to reach an estimated $5.4 billion by 2025 with a CAGR of 21% to 23% from 2020 to 2025. The major growth drivers for this market are increasing government regulation, environment friendly and better mechanical properties as compared to other biopolymers.
Emerging trends, which have a direct impact on the dynamics of the polylactic acid industry, include development of high heat resistant polylactic acid and production of PLA from second generation feedstock.
A total of 171 figures / charts and 134 tables are provided in this 242 -page report to help in your business decisions. Sample figures with some insights are shown below. To learn the scope of, benefits, companies researched and other details of this polylactic acid market report download the report brochure.
In this market, packaging is the largest end use industry of polylactic acid, whereas cornstarch is largest in raw material. Growth in various segments of the polylactic acid market are given below:
Polylactic Acid Market by Segments
The study includes the polylactic acid market size and forecast for the polylactic acid market through 2025, segmented by product type, end use, raw material, product form, and region as follows:
Polylactic Acid Market by Product Type [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2014 - 2025]:
- Poly(L-lactic) Acid Poly(D-lactic) Acid Poly(DL-lactic) Acid
Polylactic Acid Market by End Use [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2014 - 2025]:
- Packaging Bio-medical TextileAgricultureElectronicsOthers
Polylactic Acid Market by Raw Material [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2014 - 2025]:
- Corn StarchSugarcane & Sugar BeetCassava Others
Polylactic Acid Market by Product Form [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2014 - 2025]:
- Film & SheetsFiberThermoformingCoatingOthers
Polylactic Acid Market by Region [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2014 - 2025]:
- North AmericaUSCanadaMexicoEuropeGermanyUnited KingdomFranceAsia PacificChinaJapanIndiaThe Rest of the WorldCentral and South AmericaMiddle East and Africa
- Some of the polylactic acid companies profiled in this report include Natureworks, Total Corbion, Pyramid Bioplastic, Weforyou, and Zhejiang Hisun are among the major manufactures of polylactic acid.
- The L-lactic product type is expected to remain the largest market and will witness highest growth during the forecast period due to its increasing usage in packaging, biomedical, textile, and agriculture industry.
- Within the polylactic acid market, packaging will remain the largest end use industry during the forecast period due to its biodegradable properties and favorable government policies. Lucintel predicts that the bio-medical end use is expected to witness the highest growth over the forecast period due its non-toxic and non-carcinogenic effects on human body.
- Europe is expected to remain the largest market and will witness the highest growth over the forecast period supported by stringent government regulations, biodegradable, and mechanical properties.
- Some of the features of this report:
- Market size estimates: Polylactic acid market size estimation in terms of value ($M) and volume (M Lbs.) shipment.Trend and forecast analysis: Market trend (2014-2019) and forecast (2020-2025) by end use and use industry.Segmentation analysis: Polylactic acid market size by product type, end use, raw material, and product form in terms of value and volume shipment.Regional analysis: Polylactic acid market breakdown by North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World.Growth opportunities: Analysis on growth opportunities in different applications and regions in the polylactic acid market.Strategic analysis: This includes M&A, new product development, and competitive landscape in the polylactic acid market.Analysis of competitive intensity of the industry based on Porter's Five Forces model.
This report answers following 11 key questions:
- Q.1 What are some of the most promising potential, high-growth opportunities for the polylactic acid market by product type (PLLA, PDLA, and PDLLA), end use (packaging, bio-medical, textile, agriculture, electronics, and others), raw material (corn starch, sugarcane & sugar beet, cassava, and others), product form (film & sheet, fiber, thermoforming, coating, and others), and region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World)?
- Q.2 Which segments will grow at a faster pace and why?
- Q.3 Which regions will grow at a faster pace and why?
- Q.4 What are the key factors affecting market dynamics? What are the drivers and challenges of the polylactic acid market?
- Q.5 What are the business risks and threats to the polylactic acid market?
- Q.6 What are emerging trends in this polylactic acid market and the reasons behind them?
- Q.7 What are the changing demands of customers in the polylactic acid market?
- Q.8 What are the new developments in the polylactic acid market? Which companies are leading these developments?
- Q.9 Who are the major players in this polylactic acid market? What strategic initiatives are being implemented by key players for business growth?
- Q.10 What are some of the competitive products and processes in this polylactic acid area and how big of a threat do they pose for loss of market share via material or product substitution?
- Q.11 What M & A activities have taken place in the last 5 years in this polylactic acid market?
- Report Scope
- Key Features Description
- Base Year for Estimation 2019
- Trend Period
- (Actual Estimates) 2014-2019
- Forecast Period 2020-2025
- Pages 242
- Market Representation / Units Revenue in US $ Billion and Volume in M Ibs
- Report Coverage Market Trends & Forecasts, Competitor Analysis, New Product Development, Company Expansion, Merger Acquisitions & Joint Venture, and Company Profiling
- Market Segments By product type (PLLA, PDLA, and PDLLA), By end use (packaging, bio-medical, textile, agriculture, electronics, and others), By raw material (corn starch, sugarcane & sugar beet, cassava, and others), By product form (film & sheet, fiber, thermoforming, coating, and others)
- Regional Scope North America (United States, Canada,and Mexico), Europe (Germany, The United Kingdom, and France), Asia Pacific (China, Japan, and India), and RoW (Central and South America and Middle East and Africa)
- Customization 10% Customization Without any Additional Cost