The Edge Computing in Automotive Market will register a CAGR of 27.5% over the forecast period. The evolution of autonomous vehicles and connected car infrastructure and the requirement for lightweight frameworks and systems to heighten the efficiency of edge computing solutions are anticipated to generate abundant opportunities for edge computing vendors.
- Enterprises across automotive are beginning to drive new levels of performance and productivity by deploying different technological innovations, like sensors and other data-producing and collecting devices, along with analysis tools. Traditionally, data management and analysis are performed in the cloud or data centres. However, the scenario seems to be changing with the increasing penetration of network-related technologies and initiatives, such as smart manufacturing and smart cities.
- For connected cars to give the value they are expected to, there requires to be a device that can concoct this data in real-time. Edge computing is the method of processing data from IoT (Internet of Things) devices where it is generated. With the edge, the data being gathered gets examined right at the source.
- Moreover, processing increasing amounts of data at a faster pace, generated by industrial robots and connected cars equipped with various sensors, is problematic, and 5G applications are solving such issues with its low latency and high reliability, making it easier to offload part of this processing need to edge or cloud-based servers, thus, minimizing the complexity
- Additionally, the absence of a "global" border and an ecosystem with a single owner that is governed by numerous individuals who must cooperate through networks makes it even more vulnerable. A piece of the infrastructure may be under the control of highly localized attacks with localized impact.
- The COVID-19 pandemic positively affects the 5G and multi-access edge computing (MEC) deployments as businesses strategize service speed and low latency as key differentiators. Tight integration of network and compute to support next-generation apps is the way forward.
Edge Computing in Automotive Market Trends
Rising Adoption of IOT to Witness the Growth Edge Computing in Automotive Market
- IoT technologies are overcoming the labor shortage in the manufacturing sector. For more organizations, using Industry 4.0 technologies, like robotization, is part of day-to-day operations.
- Robots collecting and transferring data using IoT devices on an edge network can detect anomalies and eliminate inefficiencies far faster than they could be using a cloud-based design. Such a system is substantially more resilient due to its distributed design, which also ensures higher levels of uptime productivity.
- The growing use of IoT in the automotive industry is accelerated by 5G operations, principally fueled by lower latency and network slicing capabilities. A sizable portion of industrial IoT service providers and aggregators currently offers 5 G-enabled network options, which are anticipated to incorporate edge computing over the next few years to handle the massive volume of data.
- Due to the potential of edge computing, industrial manufacturing is transforming. In the upcoming decades, edge computing applications will radically alter manufacturing to increase efficiency and production while lowering costs. This would be accomplished by combining them with a new generation of intelligent IoT edge devices. Over the projected period, this is anticipated to have a favorable effect on the market's growth.
- Furthermore, the adoption of the cloud in enterprises is primarily due to flexibility, scalability, and cost-effectiveness.
North America Occupies the Largest Market Share
- North America has b accounted for the largest market share and is projected to maintain dominance throughout the forecast years as the consumer and business sectors in the region rely on IoT devices. Higher cloud adoption in the region contributes to the continued transition toward technology. The development of innovative concepts, such as autonomous cars, within the area is also expected to propel regional market growth in the years to come.
- Additionally, the region is anticipated to represent the largest market during the forecast period due to a significant number of edge computing suppliers and the growing acceptance of technology among North American businesses for utilizing new technologies, such as 5G.
- In March 2022, Federal vehicle safety regulators gave the go-ahead for developing and using driverless cars without manual controls like steering wheels or pedals.
- 5G technology is still in the testing phase. However, the future is expected to be fruitful. For instance, AT&T and Verizon are conducting local trials in the United States. Some are also backed by corporate partners, like Crown Castle, the largest operator of cell sites in the United States, an investor in the edge computing specialist Vapor IO.
Edge Computing in Automotive Industry Overview
The edge computing in the automotive market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. Few major companies today hold a disproportionate amount of the market share, which continues to be significant in all developed nations, particularly in North America and Europe. The market is highly disorganized in developing nations like Japan and China, where regional or local sellers predominate. International players are gradually creating supply networks and entering these unstructured marketplaces through mergers and acquisitions as they become aware of the significant potential opportunities.
- January 2023 - Belden has introduced its Single Pair Ethernet (SPE) portfolio of connectivity products, designed to optimize Ethernet connection possibilities in harsh environments, including industrial and transportation operations.The SPE portfolio includes IP20-rated PCB jack, patch cords and cordsets for clean-area connections and IP65/IP67-rated circular M8/M12 patch cords, cordsets and receptacles for reliable field device industrial ethernet connections.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support