The electric vehicle (EV) battery market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 13% during the forecast period.
The concerns regarding the negative effect of climate change, along with the growing carbon emission in major cities, have created a significant demand for electric vehicles. Electric mobility is expanding at a rapid pace across the world. In 2018, the global electric car fleet exceeded 5.1 million, increasing by approximately 2 million from the previous year, and the electric car sales doubled over the same period. The EV30@30 Scenario, which targets to increase the market share for electric vehicles (EVs) to 30% by 2030 (excluding two/three-wheelers) and the effective government policies to promote electric vehicle sales, is expected to increase the demand of the EV batteries over the forecast period.
- However, the demand-supply gap of the vital raw materials such as cobalt has the potential to restrain the growth of the market.
- The lithium-ion battery segment is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period. The technological advancement, which has led to a sharp increase in the energy density of the lithium-ion battery market even while decreasing the overall cost of lithium-ion batteries, has enabled the increase in uptake of EV.
- The competent government policies and investment for the deployment of the public charging infrastructure clubbed with the increasing efficiency of the electric vehicle is expected to create a significant opportunity for the growth of the market studied in the near future.
- Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing market, owing to the supportive policies of China's government and the development of China as the global EV battery manufacturing hub.
Key Market Trends
Lithium-ion Battery to Dominate the Market
- The lithium-ion battery is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period, due to its high energy density, fast recharging capability, and high discharge power, owing to which, the lithium-ion batteries are the only available technology that are capable of meeting OEM requirements for vehicle driving range and charging time.
- Additionally, the cost of lithium-ion batteries has been decreasing, reaching to a value below USD 176/KWh in 2018 from around USD 900/KWh in 2011. The decreasing cost of the battery has promulgated the increase in the demand of EVs since the battery cost occupies a large share of total EV cost.
- Furthermore, the recycling of Li-ion batteries is expected to secure the supply of raw materials, such as lithium and cobalt, and reduce the reliance on extracting and refining materials from mineral resources. Recycling of lithium-ion batteries that are currently being used in electric vehicles offers an excellent opportunity for companies to utilize the refined constituent materials for manufacturing lithium-ion batteries that are to be used for energy storage systems (ESS).
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share in 2018. With the increasing deployment of electric vehicles in countries, such as China and India, and the high demand for vehicles with urbanization and increasing power purchase parity, the usage of lithium-ion batteries is expected to witness significant growth in the region.
- China is one of the largest markets for electric vehicles, and the increasing adoption of electric vehicles in the country has been in line with the clean energy policy. Moreover, the Government of China has been providing both financial and non-financial incentives to promote the adoption of electric vehicles.
- Despite lack of prominent reserves or production of raw material, such as lithium and cobalt, India, in line with its aspiration to achieve 100% electric vehicle (EV) sales by 2030, is expected to emerge as a regional hotspot for global lithium-ion battery players, during the forecast period.
- Favorable policies, such as the energy efficiency standards, and increasing peak demand charges and technological advances, have led to the commercial and industrial (C&I) sector receiving more attention from project developers, primarily driven by strong growth in China and India, which, in turn, is expected to drive the demand for lithium-ion-based energy storage systems in the region
The electric vehicle battery market is moderately fragmented. Some of the key companies in the market include Panasonic Corporation, LG Chem Ltd, Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd, Samsung SDI Co. Ltd, and BYD Co. Ltd.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support