The enterprise collaboration market was valued at USD 36.24 billion in 2020, and it is expected to register a CAGR of over 10.7% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). Enterprises are utilizing advanced tools, such as virtual reality, robotic process automation, and artificial intelligence bots, to augment internal productivity and promote better communication among the employees. According to Goldman Sachs, the enterprise and public sector segment of the virtual reality and augmented reality market is expected to account for around USD 16.1 billion by 2025. Virtual reality companies, such as RealSense and DORA, offer immersive experiences for the boardroom.
- The companies are also focusing on cognitive collaboration, which is application of artificial intelligence to business knowledge and workflows by bringing cognitive learning and information sharing to all areas of interactions. Natural Language Processing, Predictive Analysis and intelligent routing are some of the examples of cognitive-powered customer interaction technologies.
- The cloud-based deployment of workloads are anticipated to be primarily driven by the consistent growth in the data being generated. Various end-user industries are dealing with a massive volume of data being generated and the data centers are more suited for an organization that has to run many types of applications and complex workloads pertaining to the enterprise collaboration. It also enables the achievement of high productivity, with access to real-time data with all application tools.
- The rapidly increasing adoption of the BYOD trend and other mobility solutions is expected to drive the adoption of enterprise collaboration solutions even further. Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) has also emerged as a significant trend in this new era of flexibility and network accessibility for employees working around the globe for various organizations, making the workplace more productive.
- However, the market is facing certain challenges such as security concerns. For instance, in October 2019, Cisco's videoconferencing tools were effected by automated attacks. Cisco published an informal advisory for its Webex enterprise conferencing system and warned users about an automated online attack technique that would allow anyone to join a meeting and listen in on what should be a private conversation. Such threats discourage users to move towards enterprise collaboration solutions.
- The recent outbreak of COVID-19 is anticipated to increase the usage of collaboration tools. Due to lockdown, multiple organizations are promoting the usage of collaboration tools as employees tend to work from home during the crisis. Microsoft Teams, which is a team collaboration software from Microsoft, witnessed a 40% increase in demand due to the adjustment of the businesses to remote work. Microsoft launched new Teams features, which are primarily designed to improve remote meetings, as they are becoming the default work mode rather than the pre-pandemic exception. Moreover, in the week from March 11 to March 18, 2020, the platform witnessed 12 million new users' additions to its service on a daily basis.
Key Market Trends
Cloud-based Deployment to Increase the Market Growth
- Cloud-based deployment to workload is expected to be primarily driven by the consistent growth in the data generated. Several industry verticals are dealing with a massive volume of data and data center is more suited for an organization that has to run many types of applications and complex workloads pertaining to enterprise collaboration. It enables the achievement of high productivity, with access to real-time data with all application tools.
- In recent years, enterprise social collaboration (ESC) solutions have been able to connect people around the world effectively. Social applications have been limited by technology and may work fine for one department, but not for another. With the advent of the cloud, the integration of social collaboration solutions is easier than ever.
- Majority of the SMEs (small medium enterprise) are adopting cloud deployment, as these solutions help SMEs in avoiding costs related to hardware, software, storage, and technical staff. It also helps in the scalability of data in the collaboration market.
- Hybrid landscapes of public and private cloud applications require integration in a homogeneous cloud, cxoordinated with the right tools. For instance, a German-based company, T-Systems, operates dynamic services for collaboration in the high-security private cloud, fully compliant with the country's strict data privacy and protection laws.
- According to LogicMonitor, 83% of enterprise workloads will be in the cloud by 2020. The company also estimated that, by 2020, 41% of enterprise workloads would be running on public cloud platforms. An additional 20% are expected to be private-cloud-based followed by another 22% deploying on hybrid cloud platform.
North America to Hold Maximum Market Share
- The market in North America is growing, as the companies in the region were the earliest adopters of cloud technologies. The region has an advanced infrastructure capability, which had led it to become the largest revenue generator for the market.
- Companies in the region are moving beyond the public cloud and stepping into a new era of hybrid IT, which combines public cloud, private cloud, and traditional IT. These organizations have implemented a hybrid cloud strategy as it helps in improving the way they run their collaboration business.
- To build internal and external knowledge repositories, organizations, such as the US Joint Forces Command and US Department of Defense, as well as many local and state agencies, have started to use the collaborative technologies.
- Companies are customizing their offerings to remain competitive in the market. US-based Dropbox introduced its newer version in June 2019 which is an enterprise software portal. It allows the user to launch apps with shortcuts for G Suite and use built-in Slack message-sending and Zoom video calls.
- In September 2019, Microsoft partnered with Telstra to create "Secure Data Hub" which would promote enterprise collaboration through secure data sharing. This solution is focused towards government and commercial sector.
The enterprise collaboration market is highly fragmented. The top players are aiming for a large share of the market, while the numerous smaller players aim for a substantial pie of the market. This is resulting in intense rivalry and competition. Key players in the market are Microsoft Corporation, Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd, Adobe Systems Inc., etc. Some of the recent developments in the market are -
- May 2020 - PagerDuty Inc. announced new automation and intelligence capabilities in its Dynamic Service Directory, Business Response, and Intelligent Triage solutions, to help teams reduce manual work, prevent outages and improve remote collaboration. The platform is built on the cloud platform for real-time critical work. With these new enhancements, it is even better equipped to help companies efficiently accelerate their digital transformation.
- September 2019 - Cisco launched Webex Control Hub Extended Security Pack to empower Webex customers with robust data security enhancements. The new security pack features Cisco Cloudlock cloud access security broker (or CASB) with support to Data Loss Prevention (or DLP) policies for Webex Teams.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support