The global LDS antenna market was valued at USD 433.77 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 1158.32 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 17.75%, during the forecast period. The era of modern electronics has presented manufacturers, with a number of challenges. However, the introduction of the LDS antenna technology offers an effective way to overcome these challenges, by offering a high degree of freedom in terms of metallization shape, thus, allowing improved radiation performance.
- The convergence of digital-based audio, video, and information technology is changing the shape of the consumer electronics industry, creating a whole new world of electronic gadgets, with the capability to grab the attention of consumers. In the consumer electronics industry, the consumer-spending trend is a leading economic indicator, strongly correlated with economic growth.
- Technological advancements are bringing convergence of computer, communication, and consumer electronics augured well for the industry, with many new opportunities for product innovations, with miniaturization.The trend towards miniaturization in the consumer electronics industry has driven package component sizes down to the design-rule level of early technologies.
- Specifically smartphones, has observed a robust uptake of this technology, with nearly doubling production volumes, over the past decade. Apart from this, the rising adoption of smart devices, wearables, and connected medical equipment, innovations in the modern medical sciences across the world has bought a massive advancement into the global healthcare offerings as most consumers are now leveraging the advantages offered by smart medical devices to address critical health needs.
- Furthermore, the electronics segment in the military and defense industry also presents potential opportunities for the LDS antenna market, buoyed by the rising number of UAVs, GPS/GNSS navigation, and conformal communication antennas, among others.
- A research report published by the Center for the Study of the Drone at Bard College, in September 2019 indicated that about 95 countries now own UAV. This a sharp increase from 2010. The operations through UAV are becoming deeply embedded in armed forces across the world in ways that are changing global security. Aiding this trend, players, such as TE Connectivity, are focused on delivering antennas that are lighter, smaller, and can sustain in harsh environments in the aerospace and defense sector.
- However, the market growth is expected to be hindered by the high equipment costs, need for high temperature-resistant materials, long plating process, and complexity in procedure, due to thin metallization layers and beads of laser structuring process.
Key Market Trends
Consumer Electronics is expected to register a Significant Growth
- LDS antennas are extensively being used in smartphones, wearables, laptops, gaming consoles and accessories, and tablets. Global digital spending exceeded USD 1 trillion in FY 2018, with three product categories alone making up 75% of this global consumption: smartphones (48%), mobile PCs/tablets (15%), and TVs (12%).
- With consumers demanding better body to screen ratios from device manufacturers, OEMs are pushing the boundaries of electronics by developing smartphones with almost no bezels. Miniaturization of internal components is considered to be a key concept to enable a higher body to screen ratio, which is expected to increase the adoption of LDS technologies.
- Further, LDS technology is significantly being adopted for console development. Leading console developers, like Microsoft and Sony, are adopting LDS technology to offer miniaturized versions of their consoles, namely the Xbox One S and PS4 Slim, while the former has also released a more compact and powerful console, named the Xbox One X. The market is further witnessing surging demand from the VR gaming adoption in several region.
- Additionally, headphone manufacturers are making use of LDS technology to offer more lightweight and portable headphones/earphones for consumers. For instance, LUX, the first true wireless earbuds from the leading fashion-focused technology brand, equipped with the latest MediaTek 1526P True Wireless Chipset with Bluetooth 5.0, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and Laser Direct Structuring (LDS) Antenna Technology, was launched in November 2018.
- The COVID-19 outbreak and the lockdown restrictions across the globe have affected the manufacturing activities in several industries where LDS technology has wide range of antenna applications. Production and sales of smart phone & pad devices, laptop & notebook computers, gaming consoles, wireless printers & routers, inventory tracking systems, vehicle tracking systems, etc were effected to restrictions on logistics and availability of workforce.
North America is Expected to Hold Major Share
- The North American region witnesses a considerable demand for LDS Antenna solutions, from almost all the end-user industries. However, consumer electronics, networking, and automotive sectors stand to be the largest source of demand for LDS antennas in the region.
- The significant growth of the automotive sector in the region contributes to the growth of the market studied. The modern vehicles require an amalgamation of various sensors and electronic assistants to enhance passengers' comfort and safety. However, with the increase in deployment of these sensors and components, the need to reduce the number of components is also increasing.
- The integration of LDS technology, combined with suitable connection and assembly technology, is expected to foster miniaturization and reduce the number of components. LDS technology also assists in the expansion of the design options and fosters cost-efficiency in the production process.
- The U.S. auto production is expected to exceed 11.5 million vehicles per year through 2021 and reach 12 million by 2025. According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the United States Department of Commerce, the U.S. motor vehicle and parts manufacturing generated a gross output of approximately USD 784 billion in 2019 compared to USD 513.2 billion in 2012.
- The United States is one of the largest markets for consumer electronics. According to the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), the consumer electronics industry in the United States is expected to grow at a 4% rate in 2020 compared to 2.2% in 2019. Also, the retail revenue from the sales of consumer electronics/technology in the United States is expected to reach USD 422 billion in 2020 compared to USD 308 billion in 2014.
- The healthcare industry has been witnessing a rapid transformation, aided by the integration of IoT technologies and advancements in computing power, wireless technologies, and data analytics techniques, which is further proliferating the deployment of connected medical devices, such as blood pressure monitoring devices, Beside Pulse Oximetry, and many more.
The Laser Direct Structuring (LDS) Antenna Market is highly competitive and consists of several major players such as Taoglas Limited, Molex LLC, SelectConnect Technologies, TE Connectivity Ltd, and Pulse Electronics Corporation (Yageo Corporation). In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. These major players with a prominent share in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These companies are leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and increase their profitability. The companies operating in the market are also acquiring start-ups working on (LDS) Antenna technologies to strengthen their product capabilities.
- July 2020 - Taoglas announced its collaboration with Arrow Electronics. This includes a new global distribution agreement focused on AI and IoT products and services. Taoglas will use Arrow's sales and services organization to expand its customer base, grow ecosystem partnerships, and improve supply chain services.
- March 2020 - TE Connectivity completed the public takeover of First Sensor AG and it now holds 71.87% shares of First Sensor. Through the acquisition, TE connectivity will be able to offer an even broader product base, including innovative, market-leading sensors, connectors and systems plus best capabilities and will supports the growth strategy. First Sensor will provide market expansion opportunity has it has six locations in Germany along with development, production and sales sites in the USA, Canada, China, the Netherlands, Great Britain, France, Sweden and Denmark.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support