The global analgesics market reached a value of US$ 49.02 Billion in 2021. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 64.59 Billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 4.5% during 2022-2027. Keeping in mind the uncertainties of COVID-19, we are continuously tracking and evaluating the direct as well as the indirect influence of the pandemic. These insights are included in the report as a major market contributor.
Analgesics, also known as painkillers or pain relievers, are drugs that help in relieving pain without affecting consciousness, altering sensory perception, or blocking nerve impulse conduction. These drugs include paracetamol (known as acetaminophen or simply APAP in North America), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as the salicylates, and opioid drugs such as morphine and oxycodone. Analgesics are used for treating pain resulting from physiological injuries, surgeries, phantom aches, inflammation, neuropathic conditions and cancer treatments. Nowadays, rising internet penetration has enabled various e-commerce platforms to collaborate with pharmaceutical manufacturers to deliver drugs like analgesics at the doorstep of consumers.
The primary factor catalyzing the demand for analgesics is the increasing geriatric population. In 2017, between 950-1000 million people were over the age of 60. However, by 2050, these numbers are expected to reach 2100 million, accounting for around 21% of the total global population. As older adults are more vulnerable to chronic and lifestyles diseases, it will significantly contribute to the sales of analgesics. Apart from this, many leading pharmaceutical companies are continually focusing on clinical advancements in both the delivery and design of analgesic drugs. They are also developing safer opioids with improved side effect profiles and effective pain relief. Moreover, the presence of a strong drug pipeline with efficacious drugs waiting for approvals by the United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) is further expected to enhance the use of analgesics across the globe.
Key Market Segmentation:
- IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each sub-segment of the global analgesics market, along with forecasts at the global and regional level from 2022-2027. Our report has categorized the market based on type, drug class, route of administration, pain type and application.
Breakup by Type:
- Over the counter (OTC)
- Prescription analgesics currently represent the most popular drug type across the globe.
Breakup by Drug Class:
- Based on the drug class, opioids dominate the market as they are widely used in cancer pain management and end-stage diseases in which palliative care is required.
Breakup by Route of Administration:
- Amongst these, oral is the most common route of administration (ROA) since it is considered to be one of the safest ROA and requires minimal to no medical assistance.
Breakup by Pain Type:
- Surgical and Trauma
- Pain due to Burns
- At present, musculoskeletal pain accounts for the majority of the global market share. It is most often caused by an injury to the bones, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, or nerves.
Breakup by Application:
- Presently, internal analgesics exhibit a clear dominance in the market. They are intended for internal use and are either taken by mouth in the form of pills and liquids or inserted into the rectum in suppository form.
- Asia Pacific
- North America
- Middle East and Africa
- Latin America
- On the geographical front, North America enjoys the leading position in the market. This can be attributed to the rising penetration of generics, coupled with the growing healthcare expenditure in the region.
The market has also been examined with the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers who compete in terms of prices and quality. Some of the leading players are:
- Bayer AG
- Novartis International AG
- GlaxoSmithKline PLC
- Pfizer Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson Pvt. Ltd.
- Reckitt Benckiser (RB) Group PLC
- Endo Pharmaceuticals PLC
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Eli Lilly and Company
Sanofi SA Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global analgesics market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global analgesics market?
- What is the breakup of the market on the basis of type?
- What is the breakup of the market on the basis of drug class?
- What is the breakup of the market on the basis of route of administration?
- What is the breakup of the market on the basis of pain type?
- What is the breakup of the market on the basis of application?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the global analgesics market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the global analgesics market?
- What is the structure of the global analgesics market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the global analgesics market?