The global sonar systems market size reached US$ 4.8 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 5.3 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 1.65% during 2023-2028.
Sound navigation and ranging (SONAR) refers to a technique which employs sound waves for navigating, communicating, and detecting lost or hazardous objects. The sound waves are reflected from the objects and are detected by sonar systems which analyse the information contained in them. Sonar systems are generally divided into passive and active sonar. Active sonar systems emit acoustic waves into the water and listen to their echoes underwater, whereas, passive sonars do not generate their own signals and listen to the sounds produced by other vessels. Nowadays, sonar systems are widely used for fishing, hydrography, oil exploration, marine observation and nautical charting activities.
Global Sonar Systems Market Drivers:
- On account of the rising number of terrorist attacks, governments across the globe are increasing their defence budgets for building warships and deploying nuclear submarines as a part of their military strategies. Moreover, the growing applications of sonar systems in preventive defence processes and anti-submarine warfare (ASW) have boosted their demand across the globe. In line with this, advanced systems are being developed, such as synthetic aperture sonar (SAS) which produces higher resolution images. In addition, consistent enhancements in the arena of autonomous underwater vehicles and rising demand for unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs) for commercial exploration of oil and gas are also anticipated to bolster the growth of the market.
Key Market Segmentation:
- IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each sub-segment of the global sonar systems market report, along with forecasts at the global and regional level from 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on mode of operation, product type, installation, type, application and material.
Breakup by Mode of Operation:
- Active cum Passive
- Based on the mode of operation, the market has been segmented into active, passive and active cum passive.
Breakup by Product Type:
- Hull Mounted Sonar
- Towed Array Sonar
- Dipping Sonar
- Driver Detection Sonar
- Based on the product type, the market has been segmented into hull mounted sonar, towed array sonar, sonobuoys, dipping sonar and driver detection sonar.
Breakup by Installation:
- Vessel Mounted
- Hand-Held and Pole Mounted
- Based on the installation, the market has been segmented into vessel mounted, airborne, towed, UUV, hand-held and pole mounted and others.
Breakup by Type:
- Multi Beam
- Side Scan
- Single Beam
- Synthetic Aperture
- Based on the type, the market has been segmented into multi beam, side scan, single beam and synthetic aperture.
Breakup by Application:
- Hydrographic Charting
- Offshore Oil and Gas
- Port and Harbour Management
- Coastal Engineering
- Based on the application, the market has been segmented into military, hydrographic charting, offshore oil and gas, port and harbour management, coastal engineering and others. Military currently represents the biggest application.
Breakup by Material:
- Piezoelectric Ceramics
- Piezoelectric Single Crystals
- Magnetostrictive Materials
- Based on the material, the market has been segmented into piezoelectric ceramics, piezoelectric single crystals, magnetostrictive materials and others.
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- Latin America
- Region-wise, the market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and Latin America. Amongst these, Asia Pacific is the biggest market, accounting for the majority of the global sales.
- The competitive landscape of the market has also been examined with some of the key players being
- Lockheed Martin
- Kongsberg Gruppen
- Ultra Electronics
- L3 Technologies
- Atlas Elektronik
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- 1. What was the size of the global sonar systems market in 2022?
- 2. What is the expected growth rate of the global sonar systems market during 2023-2028?
- 3. What are the key factors driving the global sonar systems market?
- 4. What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global sonar systems market?
- 5. What is the breakup of the global sonar systems market based on the mode of operation?
- 6. What is the breakup of the global sonar systems market based on the product type?
- 7. What is the breakup of the global sonar systems market based on the installation?
- 8. What is the breakup of the global sonar systems market based on the type?
- 9. What is the breakup of the global sonar systems market based on the application?
- 10. What are the key regions in the global sonar systems market?
- 11. Who are the key players/companies in the global sonar systems market?