The market for Biochar market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 15% globally during the forecast period (2022-2027).
Due to COVID-19, the economies of several countries have been badly affected, and several industries' growth and production have declined. Due to the lockdown restrictions, the manufacturing sector is the most affected worldwide, impacting the market. However, the market is currently reached pre-pandemic levels.
Over the medium term, increasing applications for plant growth and development and growing demand for organic foods in developing countries are expected to drive the demand for the market studied.
On the flip side, the risk of contamination and soil erosion is expected to hinder the growth of the market in the coming years.
Furthermore, numerous upcoming projects in the United Kingdom are expected to increase the demand for biochar over the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand from Agriculture
- Biochar is a solid byproduct of biomass pyrolysis. It is a carbon-rich, porous material used for various applications, the most important of which is soil improvement and remediation.
- Biochar is primarily used in agriculture to improve soil fertility and plant growth and to provide crop nutrition. Biochar is known to improve soil's physical and chemical properties, such as soil fertility and productivity when used as soil amendments.
- They can retain applied fertilizer and nutrients and gradually release them to agronomic crops. The benefit of biochar is its capacity to hold onto water and nutrients in the surface soil horizons for extended periods as it prevents nutrients from evaporating from the crop root zone, thus increasing crop yields and lowering the need for fertilizer.
- Hence, using biochar in production agriculture increases yields while decreasing negative environmental impacts.
- Currently, China and the United States are the forerunners in using biochar for agricultural purposes.
- The United States is one of the world's largest producing and consuming markets for agricultural products and one of the top agriculture exporters in the world. According to the US Department of Agriculture, in 2021, the total grain production in the country stood at 429.9 million metric tons, registering a growth of 2.8% compared to last year.
- Agriculture has always been of great significance to Italy. Through various initiatives, the Italian government has been promoting the agricultural industry, aiming to stabilize production and finding ways to ensure that the sector is increasing healthily and sustainably. The number one driving force behind the Italian industry is the agri-food market. The Italian federal government has actively supported agriculture for decades. There is broad political consensus on the need for property, labor, and tax reform to help the sector achieve its capacity.
- Therefore, the demand for the market studied is expected to grow in agriculture applications in coming years.
Germany to Dominate the European Market
- Germany is among the top countries which are actively practicing several biochar projects. NovoCarbo Biochar - This is an ongoing project started in November 2021. The project transforms wood residues from forest operations and waste wood into stable carbon in the form of biochar. The highly customizable biochar solutions can be used across several industries, including agriculture and soil amendment, water treatment, decarbonizing textiles such as carpet flooring, and as an additive in sustainable building materials.
- German Demo - The German demo site at Nationalpark Unteres Odertal converts low nutritional quality grass from the wetlands into biochar. By implementing a first complete processing line, the grass is transformed into biochar by pyrolysis or hydrothermal carbonization (HTC).
- Biochar is mainly used in agriculture as it improves overall farming productivity. Further, it has also gained popularity as an animal feed in livestock farming. Thus, the increasing use of biochar in the applications, such as agriculture, animal feed, and industrial uses in Germany is driving the demand for biochar in the country.
- In Germany, about half of the land is used for agriculture. It is the third-largest exporter of agricultural goods in the world. Grain is majorly cultivated on about one-third of the agricultural land of Germany, where wheat is the leading crop, followed by barley and rye.
- According to Altech Agri-Food Outlook 2022, the country produced around 24.51 million metric tons of feed in 2021 compared to 24.93 million metric tons in 2020. The country is home to about five of the world's largest animal feed manufacturers, including AGRAVIS Raiffeisen AG, DTC Deutsche Tiernahrung Cremer GmbH & Co. KG, H. Broring GmbH & Co. KG, MEGA Tierernahrung GMBH & Co. KG, and Rothkotter-Mischfutterwerk.
- However, in 2021, compounded feed production has been severely affected due to the spread of the animal disease Avian Influenza (AI). Overall, the country is likely to experience flattened growth in the feed industry, with expected growth in 2022.
The global biochar market is partially consolidated in nature with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Biochar Industries, Biochar Supreme, Swiss Biochar GmbH, ArSta Eco, and Airex Energy, among others (Not in any particular order).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support