The styrene-ethylene-butylene-styrene (SEBS) market is expected to reach 308.40 kilotons by the end of this year and register a CAGR of more than 7% during the forecast period.
The COVID-19 pandemic impacted the market negatively as the pandemic severely affected international trade and hampered several industries, including manufacturing, building, and construction. However, the market has now been estimated to have reached pre-pandemic levels.
- The major factors driving the market studied are the rising demand from the adhesives and sealants industry and the rising demand for electrical components in the construction sector.
- On the flip side, environmental regulations on overproduction are expected to hinder the growth of the market.
- The rising demand for SEBS as a replacement for PVC in various end-user industries serves as an opportunity for the studied market.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Styrene Ethylene Butylene Styrene Market Trends
Adhesive and Sealants Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- SEBS is majorly used in products, such as tapes, labels, and other construction-based adhesives, among others, in the adhesive and sealant industry.
- The water-solvent-borne property of SEBS is versatile, and it exhibits properties such as high cohesiveness and high peel strength. Due to this, SEBS-borne PSAs (pressure-sensitive adhesives) are replacing natural PSAs in a variety of applications, which has increased the consumption of SEBS in the adhesive and sealant industry.
- Advanced production techniques, like co-extrusion with a polyolefin backing related to adhesives and sealants, have further broadened the scope for SEBS.
- In December 2021, Bostik launched a new range of disposable hygiene adhesive products with bio-based renewable content. Bostik launched two new adhesive products with 50% and 75% renewable content in support of its responsible hygiene commitment. The new launches are expected to propel the market studied.
- Hence, based on the aforementioned aspects, the adhesives and sealants segment is expected to dominate the market.
The Asia-Pacific Region is Likely to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share. With growing construction activities in countries like India, China, Japan, and South Korea the demand for and production of adhesives and sealants, and electrical products have been increasing in the country, which is further leading to an increase in the consumption of SEBS in the region.
- China is also the world's leading PVC manufacturer and consumer. SEBS is creating its space in the plastic industry as a potential replacement for PVC in various applications. The country's sales of electric vehicles reached around 413,094 units in November 2021. In addition, the market share also increased to 19% including 15% of all-electric and 4% of plug-in hybrid cars.
- SEBS is used in the production of toys and can replace PVC in the production of doll heads. Thus, such a substitution of PVC is likely to drive the SEBS market in the coming years.
- The sports equipment market in China has witnessed growth owing to the Tokyo Olympic Games, in 2021. The sports equipment makers and industry practitioners expect the sector to fuel consumers' increasing appetite for sports activities and consumption. Moreover, it is expected that the sports industry reaches USD 773 billion by 2025.
- India is the second-largest footwear manufacturer in the world with nearly 90% of the manufactured footwear utilized in the country and the rest is exported.
- The footwear market was estimated to reach around USD 15.5 billion by 2022. In addition, the country holds a share of 10.7% of the global production and in terms of consumption, it holds a share of 11.7%.
- In Japan, according to Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA), as of December 2021, the global production by the Japanese electronics and IT industry, was estimated to register a growth of 8% year-on-year in 2021 to JPY 37,319.4 billion (USD 332764.7 million) and the industrial production is forecasted to JPY 38,015.2 billion (USD 338968.9 million) in 2022, with an estimated growth of 2% year-on-year.
- Due to all such factors, the market for Styrene-ethylene-butylene-styrene (SEBS) in the region is expected to have a steady growth during the forecast period.
Styrene Ethylene Butylene Styrene Market Competitor Analysis
The styrene-ethylene-butylene-styrene (SEBS) market is a consolidated market, where few players account for a significant portion of the market demand. Some of these major players (in no particular order) include Kraton Corporation, Kuraray Co. Ltd, China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec), TSRC Corporation, and Celanese, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support