The graphite anode for the LIB market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 7% during the forecast period.
The melamine market was negatively impacted during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. The market improved in 2021. With automotive manufacturing activities recovering from the lockdown, the demand for automobile components such as batteries and other electronic components increased. The automotive industry is recovering rapidly and is estimated to grow further in the coming years, which may boost the demand for melamine.
- Over the short term, the rising demand for lithium-ion batteries from the electric vehicles industry is expected to drive the market's growth.
- The stringent regulations against dumping battery waste are expected to hinder the market's growth.
- However, developing newer materials for batteries is likely to be an opportunity.
- Asia-Pacific dominates the world, with the most significant consumption from China and India.
Graphite Anode for LIB Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Automobile Industry
- Graphite anodes are widely used in electric vehicle manufacturing in lithium-ion batteries. With the increased demand for electric vehicles, the market is expected to grow significantly.
- The United States is home to some of the major automotive players in the world, which are investing in the electric car segment. Automakers such as General Motors plan to launch 20 new all-electric vehicles in 2023 and manufacturing facilities with an investment of more than USD 7 billion.
- The country has also emerged as a massive market for electric vehicles after China. According to the EV Volumes, in 2021, the country's total plug-in electrical cars accounted for around 656,900 units, registering a growth rate of ~100% compared to 2020.
- According to the IEA, in the United States, the federal aim is for electric vehicles (EVs) to make up 50% of new passenger cars and light trucks sold by 2030. Moreover, as per the International Council on Clean Transportation, in 2020, the California Government announced an executive order that by 2035 all new cars and passenger trucks sold in California be zero-emission vehicles, which includes BEV and PHEV, and others
- Additionally, the successful sales of electric vehicles in Mexico are further anticipated to support vehicle production and sales. According to the EV Volumes, in 2021, the country's electric vehicle registration witnessed a growth rate of 80% compared to 2020.
- The Link EV Electric Vehicles, a unit of private US energy company, Citizens Resources, announced its plans to build an assembly plant in the central Mexican state of Puebla with an investment of around USD 265 million. The operations are scheduled to begin in the second half of 2022 with four production lines with a nominal capacity of 1,200 units.
- All the above factors will likely drive global market growth during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific Region is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is deemed to largest market for electric vehicles because of the presence of major economies such as India and China. Although, various ASEAN countries are also pacing up in the manufacturing of electric components.
- The automobile industry in China is witnessing switching trends as the consumer inclination toward battery-operated vehicles is on the higher side. Moreover, the government of China estimates a 20% penetration rate of electric vehicle production by 2025.
- With demand for passenger vehicles remaining strong despite rising commodity prices, many automakers are eager to adopt new technologies, particularly electric vehicles. In India, the production of electric vehicles is supported by government subsidies and favourable policies supporting manufacturing practices.
- The electric vehicles market in the country is majorly driven by the two-wheeler segment, which accounted for over 48% in 2021. According to the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH), 3,29,190 electric vehicles were sold in the country, representing an increase of 168% compared with the sales in 2020.
- The electric vehicle industry in South Korea is expected to grow at a rapid rate. In 2021, nearly 71,000 units of electric vehicles were sold in the country. South Korean sales of electric vehicles surged by 96% to 71,006 units in the first nine months of 2021, according to data collected by the Korea Automotive Technology Institute (KAII). The sales figure is expected to increase with the growing demand from the importing economies in Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Americas.
- Indonesia is Southeast Asia's largest automotive production hub. The production of automobiles for the year 2021 accounted for 11,21,967 units an increase of 63% in comparison to 2020. Although the penetration of electric vehicles in the country is admissibly low, the future of the electric vehicle industry in the country looks very bright.
- The Indonesian government is determined to support the adoption of electric vehicles in the country for both producers and consumers. Moreover, the government has been giving subsidies to EV consumers, along with tax cuts to EV automakers. Indonesia is pushing for the development and manufacture of electric vehicles and battery production facilities, which in turn is likely to benefit the market growth in the country.
- Electric vehicle sales in Japan are likely to ascend in the coming future with rising consumer demand for alternate fuel technology. Electric vehicle manufacturing in Japan is still an emerging industry as several manufacturers prefer production in other Asian economies. Japan is transitioning to 100% electric car sales by 2035, and the Japanese electric vehicle market is growing. Expansion of the electric vehicle market in the country is therefore projected to benefit the market growth.
- All the aforementioned attributes are favoring the regional market growth.
Graphite Anode for LIB Market Competitor Analysis
The graphite anode for the LIB market is partially consolidated in nature. These companies include Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation, Nippon Carbon Co. Ltd, SGL Carbon, Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd, and Resonc (not in any particular order).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support