The cosmetic packaging market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.7% over the forecast period (2021-2026). The packaging in the cosmetic industry has gone leaps and bounds in recent years. The cosmetic industry has the most varied packaging requirements of all the other sectors. The materials used vary from different metals from glass, paper, and Plastics, and these materials are used to make containers with different shapes and sizes and dispensing mechanism. Plastic in the form of primary containers, secondary flexible pouches, caps, and closure, and the nozzle is one of the cosmetic industry's primary packaging materials. The plastic tube is one of the significant containers in the cosmetic industry as it can store liquid-solid and semisolid materials and dispense products in the controlled proportions. Also, the, when compared to other containers tubes, can provide better contamination protection.
- To cater to the increasing demand for tubes, various suppliers have come up with innovative offerings in the market. Sally Hansen, a major cosmetics manufacturer in the global market, developed a squeezable tube paired with an applicator tip with Topline's help. Additionally, Albea, a packaging solution provider, developed a Teardrop tube, which has a drop-by-drop dispensing system for liquid formulations, on a tube. Also, Cosmogen offered a revised tube version of its Squeeze'N Roll package, with an attached massage roller. Furthermore, Global Packaging Inc. had also developed a tube with a ratchet on the head of the tube and a corresponding ratchet on the pump, ensuring a perfect leakproof assembly by applying the predetermined torque while protecting the accidental opening.
- Enterprises are also looking to drive the change with a plan to combat climate change and reduce the environmental impacts of packaging. For instance, Stora Enso, in 2019, introduced barrier-coated, grease-resistant paperboard tubes for cosmetics packaging. This tube packaging method is suitable for the primary packaging of skin cream products and is considered a new, climate-friendly alternative to plastic tubes. But the cosmetics industry now seems united on reducing the impact of plastic pollution, with new thoughtful packaging strategies and advanced formulations. In 2018, Lalique's limited-edition fragrance- Seduction was introduced in the market. The product was packed in a three-dimensional snake design that wraps around the flacon. The bottle's material is the crystal, a luxurious glass type that is known for superior clarity and heavier weight.
- Besides, several cosmetic packaging exhibitions and trade shows are promoting various new packaging technologies. For example, Cosmo Tech Expo is the biggest manufacturing solutions trade show in India, for the cosmetic, personal care, perfumery, and toiletries markets. The expo brings together exhibitors to display the latest ingredients, raw materials, packaging, labeling, machinery, OEM and private labeling, testing, lab equipment, and regulatory solutions, offered by over 8,000 manufacturers worldwide. Similarly, CPNA (Cosmoprof North America) is the most awarded B2B beauty event in the Americas. CPNA has been recognized as the premier launching platform for launching new beauty brands, offering unique, innovative products, and gathering information about new channels of distribution, packaging, and manufacturing solutions.
- With the outbreak of COVID-19, several premium beauty-product outlets were shut down. Some of these stores are never expected open again, and new openings will likely be delayed for at least a year. While brick-and-mortar drugstores and mass-market and grocery stores remain open, their customer traffic and revenues have plummeted. For instance, Boots UK drugstore chain reported its overall sales fell by two-thirds between March 25 and April 3, 2020, with beauty-product revenues contributing to the decline. Such instances indicate that consumers will spend less on beauty products than usual, which could negatively impact the cosmetic packaging industry. However, some beauty-product brands and retailers with inventory and shipment operations ready to scale up report e-commerce sales significantly higher than the pre-COVID-19 levels.
Key Market Trends
Plastic is Expected to Hold Significant Share
- Plastic is a prominent material in cosmetic packaging due to its low cost, lightweight, flexibility, durability, and other factors. Plastics are a material of choice for manufacturing shatterproof and "no-spill" bottles, jars, tubes, caps, and closures for personal care products. According to the Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI), at 61% market share, plastic packaging, such as bottles, jars, compacts, and tubes, dominate in cosmetics and other personal care products, where bottles are the most commonly used containers, accounting for 30% of the market. The most common and least expensive cosmetic bottles produced from HDPE are economical, impact-resistant, and maintain a good moisture barrier. Lotion bottles come in all different sizes and forms, where some lotions are kept in capped tubes.
- Moreover, the most common type of plastic used for cosmetic containers is PP plastics. However, these can also come in a more affordable PET plastic or a higher-end acrylic plastic. Acrylic plastic is usually clear and resembles glass. This type of material has an advantage over the glass as it is not prone to breakage. However, PP plastic is more affordable than acrylic and usually comes in round or tube-like shaped plastic containers. PP plastic containers can be molded into heart shapes, character shapes, or square shapes to suit the cosmetic product's style or marketing to be distributed. Jars and pots are majorly used for face creams, lotions, foundations, lip balms, powders, and other cosmetics, where the size ranges from 20mm to 60mm and can hold anywhere from 25ml (or less) to 250ml.
- For instance, SKS Bottle & Packaging Inc. provides various plastic jars offered in a range of sizes with a variety of closure options, from silver caps with sifters lined caps to the plastic dome. They provide PET jars for products, such as lip balm and eye cream, and white polypropylene thick wall jars with lined caps for lotions, balms, etc., with many more ranges. Tubular packaging has long been favored by design experts seeking to capitalize on tubes' convenience and portability to hold cosmetics and other personal care items. For instance, the introduction of Vaseline Jelly in a flip-cap jar and Dove's Advanced Hair Series Dry Oil Shampoo in a squeezable plastic tube in the United Arab Emirates facilitated convenient usage.
- As manufacturers seek options to reduce the amount of material used per product, plastics deliver exceptional gains in terms of the provision of lightweight packaging solutions that use fewer materials. Moreover, over the last decade, plastic's environmental impacts have resulted in a slowdown in the segment. However, the availability of recycled plastics and innovations in material technology have enabled environmentally-friendly packaging solutions. The players are focusing on refillable packaging as a design solution to create sustainable features. Brands are embracing the natural discoloration that provides PCR (post-consumer recycled) plastics. At the luxury end of the market, these refillable products are bridging this gap.
North America is Expected to Significant Share
- The United States is one of the biggest markets for cosmetics, personal care products, and fragrances market. According to a study commissioned by the Brazilian Association of the Personal Hygiene, Perfumery and Cosmetics Industry in 2018, the United States was the most valuable cosmetics industry globally, generating a revenue of USD 89.5 billion. The country's cosmetics market has been dominated by players like L'Oreal, Unilever, Procter & Gamble Co., and other leading players. Similarly, the cosmetic packaging landscape in the country is consolidated with a few significant players like Albea SA, AptarGroup Inc., Smurfit Kappa Group PLC, WestRock Co., and Graphic Packaging Holding Co. dominating market share.
- The country's primary product categories include skincare, makeup, haircare, perfumes, deodorants and toiletries, and oral cosmetics. According to data released by Happi Magazine in 2018, the country's derma skincare category emerged as the fastest-growing segment and experienced a growth of 84% in 2018 compared to 2017. The US cosmetics market is experiencing a growing demand for premiumization, in line with the global trend. This, in turn, is driving the need for innovative and premium packaging. In sync with the premiumization demands and intense focus on innovative and decorative packaging, Apatar Group Inc. acquired Fusion Packaging to expand its portfolio of differentiated design and decorative offerings for the cosmetics segment.
- The United States is also experiencing an increased use of e-commerce channels to procure personal care products by consumers. While the share of online sales remains low, it is expected to grow during the forecast period. In 2018, Amazon's cosmetics category's sales increased by 20%, compared to 2017. Furthermore, Unilever has been making new acquisitions based on selling products through online channels. Plastic and glass bottles continue to be the most preferred packaging materials for skincare products. Hence, with this product category's growth, the use of materials is also expected to experience a positive growth trajectory.
- In plastics, PP, PE, HPE, PET, and acrylic ingredients are the most preferred materials for plastic bottles. The increasing use of online channels is expected to grow plastics that are cheaper and safer to transport than glass. Additionally, the United States consumer market is experiencing a demand for beauty products categorized as natural, driven by consumer perception of these products being safer. On account of this, the US government has proposed a new bill expected to regulate products before they are labeled as natural. This is likely to lead to more detailed labeling of ingredients before they are labeled as natural in the future.
The cosmetic packaging market is highly competitive, and the market comprises several global and regional players. Innovation and ease in deployment and usage, which have bee leading to end-to-end customer satisfaction through the product, have been the key factors driving the product innovation and strategies among the market players. The key players are Silgan Holdings Inc. and DS Smith PLC, among others. The recent developments in the market studied are -
- January 2020 - Albea announced to open a new plant in Huai'an, China. The ceremony took place with local government officials and Albea representatives in attendance. Huai'an will be the company's new center for manufacturing metal parts for its cosmetic and skincare packaging.
- Feb 2020 - Silgan Holdings announced that it had acquired Cobra Plastics Inc. The combination of Cobra's overcap product line with the aerosol actuators and dispensing systems would allow Silgan to offer a broader range of integrated solutions, including functional overcaps, to meet the unique needs of the customers.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support