- The Middle East & African blood glucose monitoring market is expected to register a CAGR of 7.46%, during the forecast period of 2019-2024. The market is estimated to reach USD 178.9 million by 2019.
- There is an increasing incidence of lifestyle diseases, such as diabetes, in developing countries that are increasing the demand for blood glucose monitoring devices.
- The increased awareness of healthcare facilities and preventive care are also driving the market.
- The number of patients relying on self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG) has increased. Owing to the high-cost constraints associated with the continuous glucose monitoring (CGM), self-monitoring by glucometer is more acceptable in the Middle East & Africa region.
- These devices help in the early detection of hypo and hyperglycemic conditions, which tend to drive the market for glucose monitoring.
Scope of the Report
There are two main types of blood glucose monitoring devices included in this study, namely the self-monitoring blood glucose devices, and the continuous glucose monitoring devices. The devices are further categorized by components, i.e., the self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG) devices are segmented into glucometer devices, test strips, and lancets (which are further studied by their usage in hospital and home individually) and continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices are segmented into sensors and receivers, and are further segmented into the Middle East & Africa region countries.
Key Market Trends
Test Strips holds highest market share in Middle East & Africa Blood Glucose Monitoring Market
- In the Middle East & Africa blood glucose monitoring market, test strips hold 58% of share with 0.1 billion revenue.
- Price is often a significant concern for the purchase of blood glucose test strips. Although various countries provide reimbursements for prescribed test strips, a majority of the patients have to pay for them from their pockets.
- The frequency of monitoring glucose levels depends on the type of diabetes and varies from patient to patient.
- Type 1 diabetic patients need to check their blood glucose levels at regular intervals to monitor their blood glucose levels and adjust the insulin dosing accordingly.
- Therefore, if a patient performs 5-6 tests in a day, the average expenditure on test strips would be over USD 180/month. These expenses add to the already high diabetes management costs and are impeding the market growth.
Saudi Arabia and Iran hold more than 50% share in the Middle East & Africa Blood Glucose Monitoring Market
- The leading market in the Middle East & Africa Blood Glucose Monitoring Market is Saudi Arabia with 36% market share followed by Iran and others.
- The high sales of Blood Glucose Monitoring Devices in Saudi Arabia is due to the growing prevalence of diabetes in the country.
- The Middle East countries have high diabetes prevalence like Saudi Arabia 24%, Kuwait 23%, Bahrain 22%, Qatar 20%, and UAE 19% approximately.
- Price is often a significant concern for the purchase of Blood Glucose Monitoring Devices. Although various countries, like the Saudi Arabia, Iran and other countries in Middle East & Africa provide reimbursements for prescribed test strips, the majority of the patients have to pay for them from their pockets.
- The blood glucose monitoring market highly fragmented with few major manufacturers boasting a global market presence, while the remaining manufacturers are confining to the other local or region-specific manufacturers.
- Mergers and acquisitions that happened between the players in the recent past helped the companies to strengthen their market presence. For example, Dexcom has partnered with Julphar to have its market presence in the Middle Eastern region.
- ALRT Diabetes Solution in the Middle East and North Africa provides an affordable and easy to use communication network between the patient and the diabetes health care team. Health care providers have access to timely patient blood sugar information as uploaded by the patients themselves. Patient and healthcare providers can send and receive messages through the system.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support