The market for India HVDC transmission systems market is expected to grow at a CAGR of approximately 6.2% during the forecast period of 2019 - 2024. Major factors driving the market include the growing renewable energy sector, rapid urbanization, and increasing rural electrification. On the other hand, the growing distributed and remote power system demand is likely to hinder the market growth.
- The HVDC Overhead Transmission System is likely to maintain its significantly larger market share in the India HVDC market, during the forecast period. The Indian electricity sector has witnessed tremendous growth in its energy demand, generation capacity, transmission, and distribution networks.
- Rural electrification is presenting itself as a market opportunity, with increasing demand for a reliable power supply. The nation's electricity demand has been increasing in parallel with rapid urbanization and increasing the purchasing power of the nation.
- HVDC transmission technology is at the forefront of the emerging "smart grid" revolution. It has emerged as an economically-viable solution for bulk and long-distance power transmission, due to its cutting-edge features, over HVAC, such as long-distance transmission, asynchronous transmission, ease in controlling the active power link, the possibility of bulk power transmission, and low loss (typically 30-50% less transmission loss than comparable alternating current overhead lines) in transmission of power.
Key Market Trends
Growing Renewable Energy Sector Driving the Market Demand
- Development of renewable energy is a trend in the current scenario. Most of the renewable installed capacity is located far away from the load centers. HVDC is essential for remote projects, as cable lengths of approximately 80 km or more usually require HVDC transmission technology.
- As the HVDC lines are better suited for long-distance power transmission, power transmission companies are increasingly using HVDC over HVAC transmission lines, in order to integrate the renewable power capacity.
- The cost of renewable power generation is continuously declining. The economics of renewables have improved dramatically with both wind and solar costs going down by 50%, in just two years. The major reasons behind the falling generation costs are innovations in manufacturing and installation of PV power generation, improvement in wind turbine materials and designs, intense competition, and economies of scale. Due to lower costs, the renewable energy sector is becoming competitive and in some cases, cheaper than conventional power plants.
- The demand for reliable power supply, the distance between energy demand center and power generation center, along with growing renewable enrgy generation capability of the nation, will drive the market demand for HVDC transmission systems during the coming years.
- The market for HVDC transmission system remains highly fragmented, with the presence of a few big players, including ABB Ltd., Siemens AG, General Electric Company, Toshiba Corp, Prysmian SpA, Sterlite Power, Power Grid Corporation of India Limited, and Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support