The Global Data Center Generator market was valued at USD 4.64 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 5.83 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 4.27% over the forecast period (2021-2026). While the global economies are falling under the unprecedented destruction caused by the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, the data center generator market is affected to a formal extent with many data center infrastructure that has been requested to stop manufacturing and production projects globally.
- Generators are installed across facilities to ensure that it operates at 100% availability irrespectively of incoming power from utility grids in the global market. The increase in innovations and adoption of fuel cell technology will reduce the demand for generator systems in the global market over the next several years.
- The market is seeing the procurement of renewable energy among Tier I and Tier II colocation providers, with most hyperscale facilities expected to operate with renewable energy resources by 2023. For instance, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association, in 2019, renewable electricity capacity accounted for some 20.5% of the total US generating capacity.
- Many colocation service providers have raised data centers production due to the growing demand for edge data centers worldwide. For example, in 2019, Google invested USD 3.3 billion to develop its data center presence in Europe, including an added EUR 600 million investment in the Hamina data center in Finland, taking the whole investment in the site to EUR 2 billion.
- Moreover, the growing construction of hyperscale facilities and the increasing adoption of Diesel Rotary Uninterruptible Power Supply (DRUPS) are anticipated to encourage the market. Growing electricity prices and electricity taxes are also prompting operators to choose countries, where government firms are lessening electricity costs and supporting the use of renewable energy sources to power facilities.
- Nevertheless, rising power cost is predicted to have an adverse impact on the market. Accelerating the trend of utilizing fuel cells as a power backup due to huge costs of generators might also cause restraint in the market growth. For instance, in 2019, the Adani Group stated the investment of USD 9.8 billion to install solar-powered data parks in India for the next 20 years.
Key Market Trends
Diesel to Dominate the Market
- The most common type of long-term back-up power for the data center is a diesel generator. The use of diesel generators is widespread not only in data centers but also in other critical facilities as they have a well-understood maintenance record, and it is easy to find repair experts.
- Although some proposals for reducing the generator capacity's cost through intelligent IT have been made, these have not been widely adopted.
- A company such as Cummins is a global provider of backup power solutions for the data center industry, with the largest dedicated support network coverage globally. With the company's diesel generators' time-tested ability to achieve 100% load acceptance with better controls, the satisfaction for data center customers is quite high.
- In recent years, Thailand's mobile data service sector has witnessed rapid growth. At the core of this industry is Advanced Info Service (AIS), the prominent mobile operator in Thailand. As the country's mobile operator, AIS is committed to providing uninterrupted service to its customers, even in the circumstances of a utility outage. An AIS subsidiary, Fax Lite Co. Ltd. owns the Tellus Data Center, which houses AIS' mobile switching facilities. This data center was designed to comply with Tier 3 data center requirements to ensure minimal planned and unplanned downtime.
- In order to support the high availability requirements, Fax Lite Co. Ltd needed to implement reliable standby power that would ensure uninterrupted critical load in the event of an outage. Fax Lite Co. Ltd. considered various vendors based on the following criteria: cost competitiveness, product reliability, and excellent customer support.
- Cummins was selected as the vendor of choice based on its capabilities in designing, integrating, and commissioning dependable power systems. AIS purchased 12 units of Cummins generator sets for mobile-switching facilities. Cummins supplied 12 MW of standby power with eight units of diesel-powered generator sets C1675 D5A, integrated with a PowerCommand 3.3 control system and two units of PowerCommand Digital Master Control (DMC) 1000.
Asia Pacific to Have Major Share of the Market
- The increasing investments by global and regional facility operators and the rising adoption of public cloud and hybrid cloud services are the primary factors attributing to the growth of the Data Center Generator Market in the APAC region.
- AWS, Google, Baidu, Alibaba, Microsoft, and Apple are the largest investors in the APAC market. The deployment of edge computing locations across many nations, particularly India and China, will support APAC's growth during the forecast period.
- The presence of influential companies, such as Caterpillar Inc. and Cummins, Inc., among others, has positively influenced the growth of the regional market. Determinants, such as advanced technology advancement and information about the same, are also anticipated to have a positive influence on the market.
- The expanding investment in renewable projects, hydroelectric, namely solar and wind farms to power facilities operations, will lead to data center construction in the APAC region over the next several years. Power dependability is amongst the principal challenges in the APAC market, where the requirement for the generator will be a strong driving force for market revenue growth.
The Data Center Generator Market is concentrated and consists of a few significant players. Big players strive to adapt their product offerings in terms of increased quality and technological advancements, such as the inclusion of bi-fuel technology and smart digital controls in generators. Caterpillar Inc., Cummins Inc., Generac Holdings Inc., Kinolt (Euro-Diesel SA), and Hitec Power Protection BV, among others, are some of the major firms of the market. With a prominent share in the market, these major players are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These businesses are leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to expand their market share and improve their profitability.
- June 2020 - HITEC has successfully secured the contract to supply a large number of PowerPRO2700 units to a major new high-spec data center industrial facility in the US. In addition to the units, Hitec will also provide their associated auxiliary equipment and Medium Voltage Switchgear. When complete the HITEC system will deliver continuously and stabilized power to support the entire production process.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support