According to Stratistics MRC, the Global Hydrogen Fueling Station Market is accounted for $0.53 billion in 2023 and is expected to reach $2.35 billion by 2030 growing at a CAGR of 23.6% during the forecast period. A hydrogen refueling station is constructed with a variety of accumulators and compressors to effectively store and fill hydrogen that is either gaseous or liquefied. An efficient replacement for various fossil fuels is hydrogen. The market is being driven by the widespread adoption of fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) due to growing concerns about a carbon-neutral environment and numerous initiatives from the relevant government authorities.
According to the data published by the U.S. Bureau of Economics, Disposable Personal Income increased by $2.13 trillion and personal income rose by about $1.97 trillion (10.5%) in April 2020.
- Increasing adoption of fuel cell vehicles.
- Fueling stations are in higher demand as more people choose to drive fuel-cell vehicles. Customers who are interested in buying fuel cell vehicles have confidence thanks to the availability of a well-developed network of hydrogen refueling stations. A positive feedback loop for the market for hydrogen refueling stations is produced by the increase in fuel cell adoption. Due to this adoption, numerous private investments are being made to expand station networks in response to the rising demand for radio stations. As a result, the market is seen as being driven by the increasing adoption of fuel cell vehicles.
- Lack of consumer awareness.
- The demand for any product is significantly influenced by consumer awareness. Potential buyers are less likely to consider purchasing hydrogen-powered vehicles if they are unaware of their advantages and benefits. Hydrogen fueling stations need significant private investment to build and run. Investors' market investments may be constrained by consumers' lack of knowledge about applications powered by hydrogen.
- Increase in spending on the creation of advanced components.
- A variety of handling and processing tools are needed to set up a new hydrogen fueling station and effectively dispense at the required rates. The growth of the global market for hydrogen fueling stations will have new opportunities due to the significant efforts made by a number of component manufacturers to improve their manufacturing capabilities and introduce cutting-edge systems.
- High initial costs and inadequate hydrogen infrastructure.
- One of the biggest challenges to the development of a low-carbon hydrogen economy is the absence of an existing clean hydrogen value chain. Furthermore, even though it is constant with operating conditions at the agreed-upon price, the cost of hydrogen will only be affected by the retail price of hydrogen and utility costs, which are outside of the end user's control. Because of the higher capital costs as a result of the operational versatility, the deployment of hydrogen fueling stations is constrained.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on hydrogen fueling station sales all over the world. The demand for H2 fueling stations has been slightly impacted by a slight decline in the sales of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEVs) by customers. However, it is anticipated that in the post-COVID-19 world, demand for hydrogen fueling stations will remain stable due to governments' optimistic outlook to start using low-carbon technologies and bolster decarbonization initiatives.
- The off-site segment is expected to be the largest during the forecast period
- The off-site segment holds the largest market share, and it's expected to continue to hold this position throughout the forecast period. Governments all over the world are leading the charge toward the switch to clean, environmentally friendly fuels which made possible by the off-site production of hydrogen. The growth of the off-site market is due in part to rising investments in environmentally friendly hydrogen projects and a preference for zero-carbon fuel to power fuel cell vehicles.
- The mobile hydrogen stations segment is expected to have the highest CAGR during the forecast period
- The mobile hydrogen stations segment is estimated to grow rapidly over the prediction period. With the option to be quickly deployed as and when driving patterns change, mobile refueling stations can be made available throughout the nation or state. The ability to travel to and from big box stores, existing gas stations, and high-traffic locations to meet real-time demand in comparison to fixed stations, as well as lower cost and risk, will all have a significant impact on industry trends. Furthermore, it is anticipated that technological developments such as process automation and user-friendly control screens will aid in the deployment of hydrogen mobility.
Region with largest share:
The largest market share for hydrogen refueling stations is anticipated to belong to Asia-Pacific in the coming years. Leading nations like China, Japan, and South Korea have set ambitious goals for the deployment of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as well as a promising timetable for the construction of HRS facilities. The governments' targets to reduce carbon emissions from the transportation sector and their implementation of national hydrogen strategies are a few of the major drivers supporting the expansion of the hydrogen fueling station market in the Asia-Pacific region.
Region with highest CAGR:
North America is expected to experience the highest growth because of tax benefit policies, the availability of large-scale businesses, technological advancements, and committed R&D initiatives in the region. The United States, followed by Canada and Mexico, had the largest share in 2022. Additionally, Hydrogen fueling stations are also expected to expand significantly due to the presence of countries with lucrative economic policies, high gross domestic product (GDP), and early adoption of the newest hydrogen fuel station technologies in the North American region.
Key players in the market:
Some of the key players profiled in the Hydrogen Fueling Station Market include: Air Liquide, Air Products & Chemicals, Inc., Ballard Power Systems, Calvera, China Petrochemical Corporation, Cummins Inc., Deutsche Bahn AG, Engie SA, FirstElement Fuel, Inc., FuelCell Energy, Hydrogen Refueling Solutions, HyundaiHydrogenMobility AG, ITM Power, Iwatani Corporation, Linde Engineering, McPhy Energy S.A., Nel ASA, Norwegian Hydrogen, Nuvera Fuel Cells, LLC, Plug Power Inc., Praxair, Inc and Shell.
- In July 2023, Ballard Power Systems announced it received an order for additional fuel cell engines from Canadian Pacific Kansas City ("CPKC"; TSX: CP; NYSE: CP). These eighteen, 200 kW fuel cell engines are planned for delivery in 2023 and will support the expansion of CPKC's Hydrogen Locomotive Program.
- In June 2023, Calvera Hydrogen, due to its global expertise in hydrogen engineering, complete manufacturing and maintenance of hydrogen refuelling stations (HRS), has just launched a standardised range of HRS in three formats, compatible with different H2 supply sources.
- In February 2023, Calvera Hydrogen develops the largest ever hydrogen transport tube trailer model for Shell Hydrogen. Calvera Hydrogen has developed in its facilities in Zaragoza (Spain), a 45 feet tube trailer model with a storage capacity of more than 1 Ton of hydrogen using the latest carbon fiber technology. With a working pressure of 517 bar (7500 psi), this tube trailer is unique in the market.
Station Types Covered:
- Fixed Hydrogen Stations
- Mobile Hydrogen Stations
Supply Types Covered:
Station Sizes Covered:
- Small Stations
- Mid-sized Stations
- Large Stations
- High Pressure
- Low Pressure
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
What our report offers:
- Market share assessments for the regional and country-level segments
- Strategic recommendations for the new entrants
- Covers Market data for the years 2021, 2022, 2023, 2026 and 2030
- Market Trends (Drivers, Constraints, Opportunities, Threats, Challenges, Investment Opportunities, and recommendations)
- Strategic recommendations in key business segments based on the market estimations
- Competitive landscaping mapping the key common trends
- Company profiling with detailed strategies, financials, and recent developments
- Supply chain trends mapping the latest technological advancements
Free Customization Offerings:
All the customers of this report will be entitled to receive one of the following free customization options:
- Company Profiling
- Comprehensive profiling of additional market players (up to 3)
- SWOT Analysis of key players (up to 3)
- Regional Segmentation
- Market estimations, Forecasts and CAGR of any prominent country as per the client's interest (Note: Depends on feasibility check)
- Competitive Benchmarking
- Benchmarking of key players based on product portfolio, geographical presence, and strategic alliances