The France Automotive Lubricants Market is at 286.41 million liters in 2021 and is projected to register a CAGR of 2.37% to reach 322.02 million liters in 2026. Post the COVID-19 outbreak, vehicle usage in France has significantly dropped due to the restrictions imposed to curb the spread of the virus. The automotive lubricant consumption has witnessed a fall of over 17% in volume, compared to 2019.
- Largest Segment by Vehicle Type - Commercial Vehicles : The highest lubricant consumption level in the French commercial vehicles sector can be attributed to the high average lubricant requirement of the commercial vehicle fleet.
- Fastest Segment by Vehicle Type - Motorcycles : In France, the growth in the demand for motorcycles and mopeds post the COVID-19 outbreak is expected to drive the demand for motorcycle lubricants during the forecast period.
- Largest Segment by Product Type - Engine Oils : Engine oil is the leading product type due to its high volume requirements and low drain intervals. It is used for high-temperature and high-pressure applications.
- Fastest Segment by Product Type - Hydraulic Fluids : In France, the expected recovery in automotive sales, usage, and production since 2021 is likely to drive the demand for hydraulic fluids during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Largest Segment By Vehicle Type : Commercial Vehicles
- In France, passenger vehicles accounted for a 75.18% share of the total on-road vehicles during 2020, followed by commercial vehicles and motorcycles with 15.96% and 8.86% shares, respectively.
- However, in 2020, the commercial vehicles segment accounted for the highest share of 57% in lubricant consumption. The decline in engine oil consumption due to the increased mass phasing out of diesel-based passenger vehicles, owing to strict emission standards introduced in the country, has led to the dominance of the commercial vehicles segment in the domestic lubricants market.
- The motorcycles segment is expected to record the highest CAGR of 3.89% in lubricant consumption over the forecast period. This growth is expected to be driven by the increase in the sales of motorbikes and the anticipated rise in the average distance traveled per year by motorcycles.
The France Automotive Lubricants Market is fairly consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 78.11%. The major players in this market are BP PLC (Castrol), ExxonMobil Corporation, Motul, Royal Dutch Shell Plc and TotalEnergies (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support