The environmental health and safety software market is expected to register a CAGR of 12.37% during the forecast period. Environmental health and safety (EHS) software solutions maintain adequate balance among various environmental themes, including regulatory compliance, corporate sustainability toward ecological protection, accident avoidance, environmental audit and inspection, process standardization, and incident response.
- Environmental health and safety (EHS) software solutions are responsible for maintaining adequate balance among various environmental themes, including regulatory compliance, corporate sustainability toward protecting of environment, accident avoidance, environmental audit and inspection, process standardization, incident response, etc.
- EHS solutions are becoming a core part of every business organization to bring transformation in business continuity, profitable growth, corporate social responsibilities, and operational excellence related to environmental interaction. The integrated environment of government regulations, legal forces, economic conditions, and technologies have convinced organizations from multiple industries to implement EHS solutions as a basic operational need. More importantly, organizations are trying to avoid any future operational expenses due to environmental protection and risks involved with hazardous situations.
- There are various acquisitions by players in the market. In January 2022, Red-on-line, a leading EHS software and content provider, announced to have acquired GutwinskiManagement GmbH. Headquartered in Vienna, Gutwinskiis a leading EHS platform solution in German-speaking countries. The acquisition is further expected to expand the product portfolio and increase its customer base.
- Companies are also rolling out new solutions in order to remain competitive in the market. For instance, in October 2021, ProcessMAPCorporation, the leading Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) software platform provider, announced that the company had established an innovation center in the United Kingdom (UK). The new center will play a key role in facilitating collaboration and accelerating co-innovation with UK-based customers and user community and enabling even stronger customer success engagement at more than 15,000 locations across the UK and Europe.
- Some of the major players, such as Enablon, Intelex, Cority, SAI Global, VelocityEHS, and Quentic, have a greater hold in the market with their enhanced product offerings and strategic initiatives. The market studied is experiencing several partnerships and acquisitions at a global level as part of players' competitiveness.
- For instance, in May 2022, AMCS, a global supplier of integrated software and vehicle technology for the environmental, utility, waste, recycling, and resource industries, signed an agreement for the acquisition of Quentic, a German-headquartered EHS and sustainability software provider.
- There is an increasing need for EHS software by various companies to help increase the ability to monitor the health and safety of workers during COVID-19 by automating reporting and management of cases, communication with workers, increased self-assessments, and voluntary check-ins. Government guidelines have also called for employers to conduct COVID-19 risk assessments to establish needed controls. It is essential to conduct these risk assessments systematically and to have a centralized management method, which the EHS software can offer.
- Even when most staff is not working from home during COVID-19, which may be the case at organizations in essential industries requiring physical labor, such as FMCG and pharmaceutical, EHS software is helping improve efficiency. EHS software automation abilities help save workers, middle and upper- management time that is better employed on performing the primary duties of their jobs, rather than admin. With the work-from-home scenario, EHS software can equip the EHS team with the means to quickly assess risk, collect inspection results, and monitor performance, with which there can be less disruption to operations.
Key Market Trends
Oil and Gas Segment to Hold Significant Market Share
- Oil and gas workers are directly exposed to chemicals produced and used in the oil and gas industry. Depending on the length and exposure time, they may suffer occupational diseases of the skin, lungs, and other organs. Hence, an effective EHS strategy becomes essential for organizations operating in this sector.
- Oil and gas are significant sectors playing a substantial role in developing EHS demand in the studied market. Oil and gas companies have been early adopters of EHS solutions, as they need to operate in a high-risk, fluctuating, efficient, and highly regulated industry.
- Several factors, such as increasing energy demand, volatile oil and gas prices, a surge in government scrutiny, and an increase in demand for efficient incident management, are expected to give a broader market space for EHS in the studied sector. According to the 2021 Government Accountability Office report, approximately 18,000 miles of decommissioned oil and gas pipelines constitute safety and environmental risks in the Gulf of Mexico. The report was released on the eve of the 11th anniversary of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig disaster in the Gulf. Such risks are further creating demand for the EHS software.
- The key players in the market are introducing new systems into the process, which assists the company in increasing their Employee Safety. For instance, In March 2021, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement launched a free BSEE Safe text message alert system. The agency reports that over 7,000 subscribers have received links to BSEE safety alerts and bulletins catering to offshore oil and gas work on the Outer Continental Shelf. Additionally, BSEE has sent text messages directing subscribers to 61 safety alerts and bulletins through BSEE Safe. The resources offer lessons from industry incidents, near misses, and recommendations to help prevent future occurrences.
- The significant players in the market are involved in a strategic collaboration to remain competitive. For instance, In May 2022, DNV collaborated strategically with IOGP to establish decarbonization standards, expediting the upstream oil and gas transition. Furthermore, the International Association of Oil and Gas Producers (IOGP) chose DNV to support the decarbonization ambitions of IOGP members, who produce 40% of the world's oil and gas.
- Similarly, in March 2022, Digital Intelligence Systems, LLC, a global technology firm, announced a partnership with ComplianceQuest, a provider of 100% cloud-native, AI-powered, Enterprise Clinical, Quality Health, Safety, and Environmental Management solutions, to offer transformative Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) solutions for customers in the oil and gas industry. DISYS' managed services division, D2M, will serve as the lead consultant and implementor under the agreement.
- In May 2022, VelocityEHS, and Frostbyte Consulting, announced a new partnership to expedite implementations of the award-winning VelocityEHS Accelerate® Platform. The alliance will enable global enterprises to achieve greater EHS/ESG performance faster while increasing the speed-to-value of their investment.
North America Holds Significant Market Share
- North America is expected to hold the largest share in the environmental health and safety software (EHS) market. One of the primary reasons for growth in the market studied is the increasing number of stringent government regulations regarding workplace safety, environment, etc.
- Moreover, the region has a strong foothold of EHS software vendors who contribute positively to the market's growth. Some vendors based out of North America include Intelex Technologies Inc., VelocityEHS, Sai Global Pty Limited, Dakota Software Corporation, and Gensuite, among others.
- Several players are taking the initiative to strive for zero safety incidents and minimize the impact of their operations on the environment. For instance, in August 2021, ProcessMAPCorporation, a data-intelligence driven software solutions provider which helps empower customers to transform into a sustainable enterprise, announced that Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc., a Fortune 500 company, will drive the digital transformation of its global EHS and ESG initiatives by leveraging ProcessMAP'ssmart and actionable data-intelligence solutions.
- Vendors in the region are enhancing their EHS software solutions. In July 2021, VelocityEHS, a leader in cloud-based environmental, health, safety (EHS), and sustainability software, acquired Kinetica Labs, a pioneer in developing sensing and simulation technology for occupational safety and health in Ann Arbor.
- Similarly, in May 2021, VelocityEHS acquired OneLook Systems, an Irish software firm. The acquisition will boost its enterprise-wide platform services and capacity to assist users in addressing emerging risk management concerns related to the COVID-19 outbreak and beyond.
- The countries and their respective states in the region have developed several regulations and requirements to protect the natural environment and the health of their citizens. Products manufactured, sold, distributed, and imported are subject to an expanding list of complex local, regional, and federal (mandatory and self-regulated) environmental requirements in the United States and Canada. These environmental and safety measures create new compliance challenges for global and local businesses.
- In the North American region, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) are strictly implementing industrial safety, which has been driving the adoption of EHS Software. Almost all businesses in the United States are subject to OSHA standards, so they are a relevant concern for employers and employees alike in many industries.
The Environmental Health and Safety Software Market is fragmented. With many prominent, technologically advanced players in the industry, such as VelocityEHS, Enablon, Cority, and Gensuite, the rivalry is intense, especially among the market incumbents. Market penetration is growing, with a strong presence of major players in established markets. With an increasing focus on innovation, the demand for new technologies, such as AI, is growing, which, in turn, is driving investments for further developments.
- March 2022 - VelocityEHS, the significant provider of cloud-based environmental, health, safety (EHS) and environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) software, announced that it acquired two software solutions from MyAbilities, a global innovator in smart health technology and workplace safety. The purchase includes the intellectual properties of JobX, an ActiveEHSphysical demands analysis (PDA) application that helps employers match people to tasks, and ClaimX. This return-to-work solution smooths the critical transition of employees back to their jobs. Such measures indicate merger and acquisition binding an important growth strategy of market vendors, where portfolio enhancement, extended customer base exposure, and inorganic growth are achieved.
- January 2022 - ProcessMap Corporation announced that Hg, a leading software and services investor with nearly USD 40 billion funds under management, agreed to make a significant investment to accelerate ProcessMAP's growth and expansion, thus helping solidify the company's position as a global leader in the EHS software sector.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support