Juniper Research's new “Modern Card Issuing Platforms” research report provides an independent analysis of the future trajectory of this dynamic market, with digital platforms enabling banks and other financial institutions to issue cards to customers and personalise these cards in new and varied ways. It provides a comprehensive study of the growth expected in the use of digital card issuing platforms, how the systems will transform how card issuers operate and how issuers can reduce time to market. The report analyses how these systems will impact on physical card issuance, card product and card design.
The research also presents insightful forecasts for the market, including the number of payment cards being issued annually, the number of these which are being issued via digital platforms, and the associated revenue for the card issuing platform providers themselves. These are split by:
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Prepaid card
The modern card issuing platforms report positions 16 key market players in the Juniper Research Competitor Leaderboard; providing an invaluable resource for stakeholders seeking to understand the competitive landscape in this highly varied and complex market.
The research suite comprises:
- Strategy & Forecasts (PDF)
- 5-year Market Sizing & Forecast Spreadsheet (Excel)
- 12 Months' Access to harvest Online Data Platform
Key Market Statistics - Payment Cards Issued Via Digital Platforms
|Market size in 2023:||500 million
|Market size in 2027:||1.3 billion
|2023 to 2027 Market Growth:||170%
- Market Dynamics: Provides a detailed assessment of market drivers and the key market trends within the modern card issuing market, as well as an in-depth evaluation of the future growth of the market and readiness for further disruption. This enables readers to understand the critical innovations driving this market forward.
- Key Takeaways & Strategic Recommendations: Featuring major opportunities and crucial factors for digital card issuing platforms highlighted across the landscape; making for important reading for key stakeholders, including the platforms themselves, card networks and issuers.
- Juniper Research Competitor Leaderboard: Key player capability and capacity assessment for 16 modern card issuing platform providers; positioning them as either established leaders, leading challengers, or disruptors and challengers. Our Competitor Leaderboard scores these companies on their size of operations in the space, their extent and breadth of market partnerships, the sophistication of their platforms and Juniper Research's view on each company's innovation and future business prospects. The company profiles included in Juniper Research's Modern Card Issuing Platform Competitor Leaderboard are the following:
- Co-op Solutions
- Benchmark Industry Forecasts: 5-year forecasts for the modern payment card issuing market, including the number of payment cards that are being issued annually, the number of these which are being issued via digital platforms, and the associated revenue for the card issuing platform providers themselves. These metrics are split by payment card type, including credit, debit and prepaid. This data is also split by our 8 key regions and 60 countries as follows:
- Latin America:
- Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay
- West Europe:
- Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK
- Central & East Europe:
- Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine
- Far East & China:
- China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea
- Indian Subcontinent:
- Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan
- Rest of Asia Pacific:
- Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
- Africa & Middle East:
- Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Kenya, Kuwait, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates
KEY QUESTIONS ANSWERED
- 1. Who are the most successful players in the modern card issuing platform space, and why?
- 2. Where will the biggest growth be within digital card issuing?
- 3. How does digital card issuing interact with existing instant card issuing offers?
- 4. What is the value of the modern card issuing platform market today, and what will it be in 2027?
- 5. What factors will spur modern card issuing platform growth over the next five years?
- Case Studied: ACI Worldwide
- Included in the Juniper Research Competitor Leaderboard: Adyen, Co-op Solutions, Enfuce, Entrust, FIS, Fiserv, G+D, Hips, IDEMIA, Marqeta, Modulr, Nexi, Paynetics, Pismo, Stripe, Thales.
- Mentioned: 83North, A1 Wallet, Abstract Labs LLC, Accel, Affirm, Alipay, All Blue Capital, Allianz X, ALLTEL Information Services, Amazon, American Express, Andreessen Horowitz, Antel, Antelop Solutions, Apple, Asos Marketplace, AT&T, AXA Group, Baillie Gifford, Baltic Banking, Bank Liberty, Bank of America, Base Partners, Bayer, BBVA, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, billbutler, Blenheim Chalcot, Block, BMV, BNP Paribas, Booking.com, Booking.com, Bosh, Bouncer, Bulgarian American Bank, Capability and Innovation Fund, Capital on Tap, Capital One, Central Bank, Chime Financial, Citi, ClearBank, Coatue, Commerzbank, Conferma Pay, Credit Suisse, CreditChoice, Crowdcube, CVS Pharmacy, Deliveroo, Depop, Diner's Club, Discover, DST Global, eBay, ekko, equensWorldline, Ethos VC, Etsy, Europay, Experian, FedNow, Finnvera Venture Capital, Finxact, First Data, Ford, Frog Capital, General Atlantic, General Catalyst, GiroPay, Global Secure Invest, Glovo, Goldman Sachs, Google, Granite Ventures, Green Dot, Groupon, GV, H&M, HAWK:AI, Headline, Highland Europe, HSBC, IBM, ICONIQ Capital, ind&oaute;, Instacart, Intel, Interac, JCB, JPMorgan Chase, Kickstarter, Klarna, Kleiner Perkins, KLM, LähiTapiola, LEVERIS, Liberis, LinkedIn, L'Oréal, Lyft, Maestro, Magento, Maki.vc, Mambu, MAN Truck and Bus, Manhattan West, Mastercard, McAfee, McDonald's, Memo Bank, Mercedes Benz, Meta, Micro Credit, Microsoft, Mutschler Ventures AG, My Rewards, N26, National Australia Bank, National Capital Bank, Nationwide, Netcetera, Nets, New Vision 3, Nordea, NXP, OKQ8, Olivetti, OnDot, Onfido, OP Financial Group, OpenCart, OpenChannel, Orange, Orka, Pax2Pay, Pay Vivacom, payhawk, PayPal, Payrix, phos, phyre, Plaid, Pleo, Polish Bank Pocztowy, Power Finance, Inc, PruVen Capital, Qred, QuickBooks, Rabobank, Raiffeisen Bank International, Recko, Redpoint eventures, Refugee Action, Revolut, Rocker, Rudolph Brooks Federal Credit Union, Sage, Salary Finance, Salesforce, Samsung, Santander, Save the Children, Seek Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Shein, Shopify, ShopWare, ShopWired, Sia, Síminn Pay, Slack, Société Générale, Sodexo, Sofort, SOFTBANK, Spark Capital, Sparkling18, Spotify, Square, Staley Credit Union, Starling Bank, Stellantis, Swarovski, Swish, Tachi.ai Ventures, Target, TaxJar, TBI Bank, TCH, Temenos, Tencent, Tesco, Thrive Capital, Thunes, Tiffany & Co, Tiger Global Management, Tink, Twitter, Uber, UnionPay, Vipps, Visa, Vitruvian Partners, Vodafone, Walgreens, Walmart, weavr, WeChat, Wells Fargo, Wise, wmware, WooCommerce, Xero, Yapeal, Zelle, Zumo.
DATA & INTERACTIVE FORECAST
The “Modern Card Issuing Platforms” forecast suite includes 5-year forecasts for this market, including the following:
- The number of payment cards that are being issued annually
- The number of payment cards which are being issued via digital platforms
- The associated revenue for the card issuing platform providers themselves.
The above metrics are split by payment card type, including credit, debit and prepaid.
- Geographical splits: 60 countries
- Number of tables: 35 tables
- Number of datapoints: Over 14,200 datapoints
harvest: Our online data platform, harvest, contains the very latest market data and is updated throughout the year. This is a fully featured platform; enabling clients to better understand key data trends and manipulate charts and tables; overlaying different forecasts within the one chart - using the comparison tool. Empower your business with our market intelligence centre, and get alerted whenever your data is updated.
Interactive Excels (IFxl): Our IFxl tool enables clients to manipulate both forecast data and charts, within an Excel environment, to test their own assumptions using the interactive scenario tool and compare selected markets side by side in customised charts and tables. IFxls greatly increase a clients' ability to both understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
- The number of payment cards issued via digital platforms will reach 1.3 billion annually by 2027, up from just 500 million in 2023. This growth of 170% reflects strong interest in improving the way users access and replace cards from issuers. This is in the context of strong competition to issuers from digital-only banks and new fintechs offering card services.
- As part of the main report, Juniper Research released its latest Competitor Leaderboard for 2023. Underpinned by a robust scoring methodology, the new Competitor Leaderboard ranked the top 16 leading modern card issuing platforms, using criteria such as the completeness of their solutions and their future business prospects.
The top 5 vendors for 2023:
- 1. Thales
- 2. G+D
- 3. FIS
- 4. Fiserv
- 5. Marqeta
- The leading players scored well based on their breadth of customisation options and the large number of customers and capabilities, such as personalisation and tracking available. In order to stay ahead of the competition, modern card issuing platform vendors must develop solutions that are easy to adopt and deploy, ensuring that these features can integrate with existing bank IT systems and bypass them where necessary.
- For issuers, staying relevant in an increasingly tech-enabled banking market is challenging. Improving the flexibility, transparency and personalisation of the card issuing process is an important way in which issuers can enhance the user experience. As such, issuers should look to design superior user experiences, leveraging the capabilities that digital card issuing platforms can provide.